🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Need more info on Civil War era 6lb solid shot with fuse hole

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I could say I dug this relic but I got this beauty at a yard sale in Martinsburg West Va. The previous owner says it was found in Martinsburg Wva by a deceased relative circa early 1970s at a street excavation site, not pinpointed exactly. Martinsburg was the scene of several battles and skirmishes, as well as occupation by both sides, but A good chance it is Confederate. I've been doing LOTs of research and I see LOTS of examples of 6 lb solid shot but NONE with a touch hole for a fuse. Im sure IT IS NOT CASE SHOT. There was one example of solid shot that indicated a small hole was for an attached chain or chain shot used by naval artillery but no dimensions were given. This weighs 6 lbs exactly and measures 3 1/2 inches diameter, the hole is 1/4 inch. These numbers correspond with my artillery projectiles research 6.1 lbs weight (3.58) diameter, any differences might be attributed to the age and what looks like a restoration attempt. Thank you so much in advance !

Attachments

• CBrd.jpg
    CBrd.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 31
  • CBms.jpg
    CBms.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 15
  • CBrd.jpg
    CBrd.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 17
  • CBhole.jpg
    CBhole.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 17

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for already doing the super-precise measuring of the 6-Pounder caliber cannonball's diameter and weight... which saved me from having to ask for those precise measurements. This ball's diameter-to-weight ratio tells us with certainty that the ball is indeed a solid ball, with no internal cavity for gunpowder. And THAT means the 1/4" hole in its skin is just a casting-flaw airbubble, not a fuzehole. The opening of the hole is irregular, not a perfect dircle, so that hole was not made by drilling. Therefore, the hole was not made to hold something, like a pin/stud for attaching the ball to something.

Upvote 11
OP
OP
FloodcityTom

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for already doing the super-precise measuring of the 6-Pounder caliber cannonball's diameter and weight... which saved me from having to ask for those precise measurements. This ball's diameter-to-weight ratio tells us with certainty that the ball is indeed a solid ball, with no internal cavity for gunpowder. And THAT means the 1/4" hole in its skin is just a casting-flaw airbubble, not a fuzehole. The opening of the hole is irregular, not a perfect dircle, so that hole was not made by drilling. Therefore, the hole was not made to hold something, like a pin/stud for attaching the ball to something.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I believe you have solved the mystery!

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread