I would go with the Marlin. Rebate or not...d2

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not familer with any of the model numbers, but above all else..the Marlin "Microgrove" barrell seems to be more accurate than the rest. I have a 39A which will almost beat my 46-B Mossberg.
I am talking group size here with quality sights. Which ever...BE SAFE

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Neither, drop to a .17 caliber rimshot HMR. Many makes and models including ruger, marlin, remington, etc. The .17 is a much faster and flatter shooting bullet while still remaining more accurate than any .22, depending on the shooter of course. Yes, you drop in caliber, but you get a better impact at a farther distance with the .17. Great rifle for coyote's, and of course, this is just one man's opinion.

HH,
DB

OP
OP
jlb783

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
I got the Marlin, the Savage just looked to flimsy.
Man as soon as I picked up this Marlin I said to my dad crap this is light.
And it wasn't $95 PLUS a $20 rebate it was $115 with a $20 rebate.
Maybe I need to read Academy ads more thouroughly. ;D
Discovery_bound I thought about a .17 HMR but they are more expensive (and so is the ammo) and I'm just looking for something to plink around with.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as a semi-gun expert who hasn't shot himself practicin his quick draw, I can tell you that Marlin and Savage both have some good products. I don't know about model numbers on the rifles these days, but my first rifle was a Marlin .22 bolt action with a clip. It cost 17 dollars, used, and is still in the same shape and shoots just as good as when I got it 38 years ago. Marlin guns seem to take a very fine bead, which means you have to be a little more steady and there's not that margin for error when sighting. I never had any trouble pulling off quick shots with it in the field, though. Buy a gun you can become familiar with, and is appropriate for the job you intend to use it for.

OP
OP
jlb783

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
RGINN said:
Well, as a semi-gun expert who hasn't shot himself practicin his quick draw, I can tell you that Marlin and Savage both have some good products. I don't know about model numbers on the rifles these days, but my first rifle was a Marlin .22 bolt action with a clip. It cost 17 dollars, used, and is still in the same shape and shoots just as good as when I got it 38 years ago. Marlin guns seem to take a very fine bead, which means you have to be a little more steady and there's not that margin for error when sighting. I never had any trouble pulling off quick shots with it in the field, though. Buy a gun you can become familiar with, and is appropriate for the job you intend to use it for.
Yep Marlin makes some good guns.
I am now looking at a bolt action Marlin for my next gun ;D
Either a Marlin or a Remington Model 5.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm glad to see you bought the Marlin as that would have been my choice. Savage makes a good product also but I'm partial to Marlin over the Savage.

So, how does it shoot? ;D

OP
OP
jlb783

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
DigginThePast said:
Well I'm glad to see you bought the Marlin as that would have been my choice. Savage makes a good product also but I'm partial to Marlin over the Savage.

So, how does it shoot? ;D
I haven't shot it yet >:( I'm lookin' to get a scope for it now for when I finally go shoot it.
Any recommendations on a rimfire scope?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got a small calibre rimfire rifle I wouldn't invest a whole lot in a scope. Just buy a cheap one and have fun with it. The range isn't that far with small calibres like .22's anyway. When I hunted, all my shots were under 50 yards and less if I could get it with open sights. I saw my grandpa do 100 yard shots with a .22 and knock squirrels out of trees that I couldn't even see. I used a scope from time to time, but it always took too much time to frame the shot. I probably wouldn't consider a scope for shots less than a 100 yards.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Since you already made your choice, I may as well state my favorite all around weapon of choice.

Ruger 10/22 with a 10x40 Leopold. CCI Stingers.

Good for a bit more than plinking, :laughing7:

OP
OP
jlb783

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
RGINN said:
If you got a small calibre rimfire rifle I wouldn't invest a whole lot in a scope. Just buy a cheap one and have fun with it. The range isn't that far with small calibres like .22's anyway. When I hunted, all my shots were under 50 yards and less if I could get it with open sights. I saw my grandpa do 100 yard shots with a .22 and knock squirrels out of trees that I couldn't even see. I used a scope from time to time, but it always took too much time to frame the shot. I probably wouldn't consider a scope for shots less than a 100 yards.
I don't want to invest in an expensive scope.
I'll have to see what my sisters boyfriend uses, he said he got one at Academy for $25 and it works good.
I'm just looking for a fairly cheap one that will hold it's zero fairly well.
I heard the .22 loses its accuracy at about 150 yards.
I'm just looking for something that will shoot between 50 and 100 yards fairly accurately. And I'm looking for scope rings that are tall enough to still use iron sights. I'll look at the gun show this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions