Need some help on I.D.ing Named soldier...CDV.

tokenhead

Hero Member
Feb 14, 2006
848
63
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

:icon_thumright:,Hello everybody !!! I was hopeing to find out a way to I.D. this man&battle's fought,if any.name is at bottom of CDV along w/U.S.ARMY.
Appears to be an officer w/the 2nd.CAV.? I beleive this gentleman is(was)from Conn.,2ND.Conn.Vol.? I would like to find a way to get more info. on this man...I'm sure somebody can help ! After all TN is the best!
Thank's ALL for looking&reading...HH ALL !!! :read2:, :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 2037.jpg
    Picture 2037.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Picture 2038.jpg
    Picture 2038.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 2039.jpg
    Picture 2039.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
1,312
11
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

I think the best way for you to get information on him would be through the states archives, good luck :icon_thumleft:
 

CheathamHill

Full Member
Oct 10, 2009
245
44
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

Appears to be from POST Civil War decades/end of 19th century era due to the kepi, insignia, coat and 2nd lieutenant shoulder strap it seems...

but I'm usually wrong about everything else..so don't invest your life savings in my ponzi scheme of a guess
 
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Hero Member
Feb 14, 2006
848
63
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #4
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

CheathamHill said:
Appears to be from POST Civil War decades/end of 19th century era due to the kepi, insignia, coat and 2nd lieutenant shoulder strap it seems...

but I'm usually wrong about everything else..so don't invest your life savings in my ponzi scheme of a guess
:icon_thumright:,Thank's for info.&input !!!...Don't be so hard on yourself buddy :thumbsup:
 

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
16,794
3,783
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

state military unit archives ==should have him listed --2nd Lt rank in the photo --2nd cavalry --post civil war it looks like by uniform design
 
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Hero Member
Feb 14, 2006
848
63
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

ivan salis said:
state military unit archives ==should have him listed --2nd Lt rank in the photo --2nd cavalry --post civil war it looks like by uniform design
Thank You ivan salis :icon_thumright:,your input is very welcomed !!! :read2:
 
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Hero Member
Feb 14, 2006
848
63
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #8

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
16,794
3,783
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
1
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

me thinks PBK nailed it. most likely.
 

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
6,380
260
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

Apparently, he was a career officer, later rising to the rank of colonel. I found a number of references to a Col. James J. Hornbrook, c. 1917-20:

http://www.ftrp17cav196.com/oldcol.htm

http://www.desertexposure.com/200707/200707_wobblies.php

http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/ccobisb&CISOPTR=1707&REC=2

:icon_thumright: Don't miss this colorful 1920 recruiting announcement which Hornbrook penned:

http://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/17castolon/17facts3.htm
 
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Hero Member
Feb 14, 2006
848
63
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #11
Re: Need some help on I.D.'ing Named soldier...CDV.

PBK said:
Apparently, he was a career officer, later rising to the rank of colonel. I found a number of references to a Col. James J. Hornbrook, c. 1917-20:

http://www.ftrp17cav196.com/oldcol.htm

http://www.desertexposure.com/200707/200707_wobblies.php

http://azmemory.lib.az.us/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/ccobisb&CISOPTR=1707&REC=2


:icon_thumright: Don't miss this colorful 1920 recruiting announcement which Hornbrook penned:


http://www.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/17castolon/17facts3.htm
:notworthy:,Again THANK YOU PBK,As always your info.And help in the past is HIGHLY valued!!!...The LT. Is family on wifes side,she'll like this! THANK YOU !...Your the MAN PBK !!! :notworthy:, :read2:
 

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top