What's new

need some help... Solved: Civil War clothing stamp

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
any ideas. Eagle has two arrows and 13 stars. the slot goes straight back and at the very end has groove thats not very deep. seems to have a screwhole on the side to lock whatever was slid into it in place.

thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0074.webp
    IMG_0074.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0078.webp
    IMG_0078.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0079.webp
    IMG_0079.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 234
Re: need some help. some kind of holder with eagle design

It reminds me of the bottom lock to a bank ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: need some help. some kind of holder with eagle design

I have seen these before, and as I recall, they were some sort of stamp where interchangeable letters/numbers fit into the slot.

Update: I found it! It is Civil War era, and I have included a photo taken from page 53 in Crouch's book on Civil War Relics
 

Attachments

  • stamp.webp
    stamp.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Re: need some help. some kind of holder with eagle design

creskol said:
I have seen these before, and as I recall, they were some sort of stamp where interchangeable letters/numbers fit into the slot.

Update: I found it! It is Civil War era, and I have included a photo taken from page 53 in Crouch's book on Civil War Relics
sweet id ceskol :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: need some help. some kind of holder with eagle design

Woohoo. awesome ID creskol. and here I was sure it was some decorative piece of farm equipment.

Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Great ID and relic :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom