unknown objects.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 524
  • unknown items.jpg
    unknown items.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 520

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Re: need to identify 'ANCIENT' devices

Top photo,bottom row,second object from the left looks like the packing nut from an old water faucet.
It would be eaiser to identify objects if something of known size was included in the photo.

hasbeen

D

dugupfinds

I guess you from the UK but you have no idication on your ID. This is a typical UK selection. These are my thoughts:

1st Photo
Top Row (Left first) - 17th century spur buckle, rubbish, rubbish, late medieval thimble.

Middle Row (Left first) - 17th century sword belt hook (if broken at opposite end to loop), rubbish?, medieval locking pin, rubbish.

Bottom Row (Left first) - Could be Roman or Saxon plating, bronze bead (hard to date), Anglo-sandinavian 'kite' pinhead?, rubbish, can't see last one.

2nd Photo

Top (Left first) Part of a sword/dagger chape (but need to see back), Roman/celtic dagger pommel (should have iron deposits on end)

Can't see 2 objects.

Bottom - Saxon decorated piece.

In answer to the question, ancient history in the uk is prior to the end of Roman rule. Therefore 'most' of these items are not (some are) so the poll answer is "No" with abit of "Yes".

Hope this helps

J

JDSCOIN

Hello avdan,

Dugfinds is right about what he has said about these items. I have several ancient artifacts myself and have just put many of these away (in storage). I'm not certain that I would call any of (if indeed ancient) 'rubbish'. However, there are degrees of value for these things and the range of things, some are much less valuable in some ways, than others.

It appears that you have been having a lot of fun going out with your metal detector and finding these old objects. It also appears that you are picking up some knowledge by learning more about what you find. That is a good thing. I hope that you find the knowledge gained to be as valuable to you as any monetary value for the items that you find.

Best wishes,

BTW, when I read your subject heading saying "ancient devices" my thought was that you needed help identifying 'devices' such as were used on COIN (particularly on the reverse or fields of ancient coins). What you have here are OBJECTS. That is another thing that I think you will learn about and that is the correct terminology for the things that you mean to say regarding ancient coins and other items.

JDSCOIN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread