Need virgin bedrock? Power company dams are great!

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was cruising this past Saturday looking for places to float a kayak to prospect river banks or sandbars. I stopped to view an electric power dam, and much to my amazement... BEDROCK with tons of cracks and quartz veins. I stopped at a few other abandoned/disused dams, and they all apparently use now exposed bedrock as an anchor, mostly accessible and appear somewhat easy to work. Maybe extracting glacial gold just became more of a possibility. I might suggest visiting your local power company hydroelectric facility to check them out.

damBedrock.JPG

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those sites are probably government or privately owned and off limits(?) so do your research.

Much gold was reported recovered from bedrock areas in the not too distant past during some major dam building on a couple of rivers in Commiefornia when flow was diverted during construction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Already did check things out. In most every state, the land is owned, but navigable/non-navigable water is always in the public domain. Most dams, if they don't want you there, it will be posted or fenced off. As long as you pose no danger to them or the property, they could care less. What are they going to do... take away your birthday? New York has no mention of dredging restrictions, prohibitions or whatnot. They do have a stupid law that states that all gold belongs to the state. Like I would walk into a state office and hand the gerbils a poke of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread