What's new

NEVER Gonna beat this one

kevo

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
417
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Louisville, Kentucky
So I went to my usual bank the other day to pick up some halves but something happened to the order and they didn't arrive. Well, it was like 3:30 so I didn't have time to go bank hopping so I asked Ledra (my normal teller) if I could buy a box of pennies. She said "I don't have a box right now hon, but I can sell you 20.00". So I bought them and came back home. Well when I dumped the rolls onto my desk I noticed some of them (8) had writing on them. When I opened them up all 8 rolls were solid wheat pennies. I know, it's just pennies, but I probably wont be beating this record unless I buy them. I re-wrapped the pennies that I couldn't fit into tubes so these aren't the original wrappers. This was just too good to be true, I mean the series of events and look what I ended up with!!! 400 wheaties, oldest being a 1910 and oldest being 1956.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 005.webp
    Picture 005.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Picture 002.webp
    Picture 002.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 499
  • Picture 003.webp
    Picture 003.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 498
  • Picture 004.webp
    Picture 004.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 489
Upvote 0
Hey thats a nice find, and look its a better return on face than halves, if they are any kind of shape at all. Keep hunting and good luck.
RD
 
Surprise, surprise........very nice Kevo. That is going to be a tough one to top on the pennies.

Nice haul!
 
kevo said:
.......I know, it's just pennies....

But be sure to look for any key dates, or otherwise scarce years. Let us know what you find.

Good haul there kevo !
 
Hey that's awesome! Can you give us all a date/mint breakdown of the hoard? A 1910's pretty good. Sounds like there were some other good ones in there too.

Brian
 
very nice. nothing surprises me any more on this site. The finds are awesome.
 
Congrats on the find! I'd say that was a great "harvest of wheat"!

Huntin' 59er
 
That is super. I don't think you would beat it either. Wow a 1910 penny. Great job. Keep up the great work.
 
I have a question on your wrappers. I saw that they are red and tan colored paper wrappers. My boxes come in clear wrap material that is terrible. ALmost like shrink wrap. I have to rip it to get it open, and then it is not reusable. But, most of all, the problem is that I can tell that the bank did this "automated" and the coins were put in these rolls.

How do you get the hand rolled ones like that? Do you ask differently? Ask for them to NOT "order" it, but take what is brougt in? Obviously some "one" wrapped those rolls and brought them to the bank. the bank didn' thave them wrapped. They even wrote 1950s on the wrapper. The bank doesn' t look at them, and even IF someone brought in a roll of wheats it would get mixed in with all the others and not be together.

So, how do you get the hand rolled ones? HOw do I ask differently, so that i get some better rolls than I am getting?

Any adbvise is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :-)

JOhn
 
John,

I just ask if they have any coins customers brought in that I can buy. The banks that I go to often just save what the customers brought in for me now. They prefer to dump it on me since their business customers prefer not to get hand rolled coins.

I get a lot more Canadian coins this way, slightly more Wheats and have less trash as I can reroll very fast. I haven't had any better luck finding silver dimes or silver quarters in hand rolled coins rather than boxes, however.

Brian
 
The wrappers you are seeing are the ones I re-wrapped them in because the others were tearing.(is that spelled right? LOL). But I usually buy them by the box like you do but she didn't have a full box to sell me so I bought 20.00 worth and 8 of the rolls happened to be wheats!
 
very cool! It was a good feeling when they started popping out eh! Nice haul.
 
I love your way of describing your wheats found: "a crap load"!!!

I'm surprised LJ has started describing her 40% halves the same way!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom