What's new

New addition to my Mastodon collection

AeroMike

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
349
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Ok, for the record, I did not find this tooth, it was found in the Savannah, GA area in the water. This is an adult tooth with little to no wear on the enamel and partial jawbone in the tooth roots.

Here are before and after shots keep in mind it took two weeks of soaking, and three cleanings to get to this.

10.webp11.webp

8.webp9.webp

6.webp7.webp4.webp5.webp

2.webp3.webp1.webp
 
Great addition and nice work prepping it! Can I ask what soaking/cleaning technique you used to prepare the tooth?
 
So cool! That guy musta brushed and flossed regularly! Thx for sharing, really neat stuff..Ddf.
 
Great addition and nice work prepping it! Can I ask what soaking/cleaning technique you used to prepare the tooth?

I usually soak any fossil from salt water with shells and other stuff stuck on with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar.

What I cleaning process steps are is something like the following;
1. quick wash with a stiff cleaning brush to try and knock off most the dirt etc.
2. 4 hour soak in a 50/50 mix
3. pull out of mixture and I use plastic scrapes and picks (the ones I use are the same that are used for aircraft work since I have access to them)
4. back into the 50/50 mix for 4-8 hrs
5. repeat the picking/brushing and mix. in this case, I did the it three times.
6. now this last step was not done on this as all my tools are in storage until I buy another house but my final step would actually be an air scribe to do final cleaning of the stubborn pieces but this one came out pretty good.
 
These .45 auto grips were made from mammoth teeth. Not mastodon but similar. The surprise is what's inside! Gary

mammoth1.webpmammoth2.webp
 
These .45 auto grips were made from mammoth teeth. Not mastodon but similar. The surprise is what's inside! Gary

View attachment 1638715View attachment 1638716
I have seen these grips and mammoth teeth slabbed out to make them and they do make some beautiful grips. I have a mammoth teeth I could do this tooth. I Also seen grips made for the Ivory but it was ivory from Siberia which doesn't fossilize quite like them here. Those were some really beautiful grips but so expensive...$$$$.
 
Thanks for the explanation of your process, after looking into air scribes (and micro sandblasters) it seems that I've got a few things to add to my Christmas list!
 
Yes, they are very nice tools to add to your cleaning process.
I enjoy using the air scribe and I also added a Bosch & Lomb table microscope. I use this to prep the fossil fish like from the Green River Formation.
 
Thank you, and could you provide a bit more info regarding the Bausch & Lomb table microscope? It sounds very useful for both geological and archaeological (i.e. ancient coins) preparation, but what is showing up in my search are normal microscopes. We have long winters in Wyoming, so I wouldn't mind keeping busy with some useful new toys.
 
Thank you, and could you provide a bit more info regarding the Bausch & Lomb table microscope? It sounds very useful for both geological and archaeological (i.e. ancient coins) preparation, but what is showing up in my search are normal microscopes. We have long winters in Wyoming, so I wouldn't mind keeping busy with some useful new toys.

Do a search for Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 4 and you will see a scope head fixed to what looks like a pipe connected to a vertical pipe connect to a steel flat square base. I want to say with an LED light (which you will want) I paid like $400 for it about 6 years ago and make sure the unit you buy ahs the rubber pieces that go on the end for you eyes to rest against.
Although mine is mainly used for the green river fish prep work, I have used it mounted over the top of the blast cabinet to view the trilobites as I prep them too.

I will search on photos and see if I have a set up photo. All of it is boxed up and in storage at the moment so a photo will have to do if I can find it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom