ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Greetings all. Just joined and have been looking over a lot of posts. You sure have plenty of people with vast experience on this site. I consider myself a very experienced diver and avid detectorist. I have been diving Michigan inland lakes since around 2002. My qualifications are PADI open water certified in 1980. Search and Rescue while I was a state cop in Utah, and I have sort of a business here in Michigan where I find things people have lost free of charge. I have a website and I have business cards. My website is Robert,* AKA Lord of the Rings - Home I give free advice and offer my services only on it.

This is the first year in the last 3 years that I didn't have a booth at the Detroit Boat Show in Cobo hall.

I say I am not your normal pirate because I have given back 37 gold rings and two sterling ID bracelets. Back in the 50's and 60's the technology was not out for people to find their lost rings. I have made a lot of people happy and enjoy that aspect of the hobby.

Anyway. I have been featured in 7 newspapers, on the Detroit News 3 times and have helped many people in the last 4 years. I find things for insurance companies and live my dream.

This is an old video but it is one example of one of the news segments I was featured on.

I have found hundreds of rings I have not been able to return. I actually lived off my finds for a few years. It was just worth gold value to me and to the owners I thought much much more. Sometimes that wasn't the case though. I have many positive stories and a few not so positive. However, I do what I feel is right. I also don't judge others for doing what they feel is right. I have friends that are 100% pirates. That is their choice and it is respected.

I find the last time I was featured on the news and in the papers as funny, although because of the way it was handled, it made me look stupid. HOWEVER, there is a lot more to the story than what was put out there. If you google Port Huron bomb, you will get the idea. However I was a cop for 9 years and I am smart enough NOT to be driving around with live or possibly live WW1 bombs in my truck. The chief of police here had an issue with me having them. The state bomb squad Sgt. knew me from finding one the year before and told him he couldn't take them from me. He was pissed.

Everyone enjoy your life, your finds and what you decide to do with your finds. We have a fun and profitable hobby if we work at it and don't expect much.

My advice is always free and I try to help everyone I can that asks. I know sometimes I don't come across to others the way I intend to. That has already been pointed out on this site. In the last 4 years, I have had the police called on me well over 20 times. I don't break any laws HOWEVER, I back down to nobody, not even an officer. I have had three tickets will diving and detecting and all three were dismissed. I ticked one sheriff officer off so much he threatened to tow my truck. I told him go ahead. I know all the Michigan laws on riparian rights and my rights and I refuse to let nosy people try to infringe on my rights.

Anyway, this is me in a nutshell. I am really excited for this season of diving. I have a newer truck, a newer cabin cruiser and a newer speedboat to get me to some wonderful spots on some of the 11 thousand lakes in Michigan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Please send me a PM as to your plans. I know of places right outside of Detroit and a few inland lakes. Depends on where you are going to. Further south than Detroit there are some nice places also but most get hit really hard. In one lake I could find nothing at all in the shallow water. In two days over waders heads we brought up 19 gold rings and a few silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread