new at coin roll hunting

Jack Burton

Greenie
Apr 30, 2005
I am going to start coin roll hunting today and I was hoping you guys could get me started on what to look for. I have pennies covered as far as what I want, but nickels, dimes, quarters, and halves Im kind of in the dark as to what percent are silver. I know 1964 is when quarters stopped being made of silver, I figure the same is true of dimes and halves. But reading some of the other threads it seems post 1964 they were still 70% silver and clad? If you guys know of a website that gives silver content of coins, or if its not too much trouble maybe someone here could share that with me? I really have absolutely no idea about nickels and whats worth anything. In my younger days I would keep anything from 1969 and older for all coins, but I would rather just pick the silvers out, and worthy nickels.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Upvote 0

parrothead

Oct 1, 2005
Morris, Illinois
Nickels keep everything before 60
quarters, dimes, halfs and dollars wer 90% silver until 64. In 65 they went to clad except for the halves that went to 40% silver through 1970, then they went to clad also.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I read something on the internet last night about the 1970 Kennedy Half Dollar, to keep them all but I can't remember why. lol Does anyone know why it's a keeper.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970D halves were only made for Mint Sets that year and none were released for circulation so if you find one it's because someone broke into a Mint Set. Or the set was stolen and the fool crook spent the coins at face value.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War nickles from 1942-1945 with the mint mark over the dome of the building P or S are 35% silver. The new mint marks location showed the change of alloy. (Don't get confused and think any 1942 nickle is silver.)

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread