Hi there!
My sister and I want to get our Dad a metal detector for Christmas, and I was wondering if this deal would be a good choice. I know the Time Ranger has been discontinued so I was concerned that, if something were to go wrong, the company might not honor the warranty. Does anyone know if Bounty Hunter will still service and warranty a discontinued product? Also, can anyone tell me if the website offering this deal reputable one? Is the Time Ranger appropriate for a novice?
Dad has been wanting a detector for years now, and I would probably describe his interest as "hobby/fun" level. Years ago he used to be involved in a local archeology club and would dig for arrowheads etc. every weekend, so I'm guessing he might work up to metal detecting on a similar basis. It will probably get the most use at our tree farm in Western Louisiana (clay soil), our rice fields in Southwest Louisiana (?regular soil?) and at the beach (sand, obviously).
Other detectors we are considering are the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and the Garrett ACE 250 (although the 250 is at the top of our price range). Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! I have been scouring forums like this one, but it's time to make a purchase since Christmas is around the corner. I want to get him something he will use and have success, but I don't think he needs a "pro" machine (or rather, my sister and I can't really afford to buy him a "pro" machine). I was thinking that the Time Ranger deal would be an opportunity to get a more advanced detector at a base price.
Thanks,
hbg