Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 2 Landstars and a Tracker IV. The Tracker IV would hit iron in all metal extremely deep. The Landstars were completely different. One was a decent detector, good depth and solid ID. The other was pure junk. I've wanted to try a Time Ranger, so for the price, why not? Can't lose much on this deal, they will sell for close to that on fleabay.

Thanks for the link.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Merf said:
Merf .......... I also say thanks to the link............I read that they are being discontiued.......That is a good buy that was one of the top of there line detectors .. Kellyco is selling them for $379.00 with only one coil............. you got a deal there......... For that price i will order one i sure can't go wrong at that price they are auto & manual ground balance..........

Attachments

• md.gif
    md.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 567
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 566
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Merf said:
Merf .......... I also say thanks to the link............I read that they are being discontiued.......That is a good buy that was one of the top of there line detectors .. Kellyco is selling them for $379.00 with only one coil............. you got a deal there......... For that price i will order one i sure can't go wrong at that price they are auto & manual ground balance..........

Keppy---It will give us something to play with this winter. Blowing and snowing outside right now.
The ground is frozen-----My only fun is in the basement with a tub of dirt.
Looking forward to the testing.

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
I've had 2 Landstars and a Tracker IV. The Tracker IV would hit iron in all metal extremely deep. The Landstars were completely different. One was a decent detector, good depth and solid ID. The other was pure junk. I've wanted to try a Time Ranger, so for the price, why not? Can't lose much on this deal, they will sell for close to that on fleabay.

Thanks for the link.

Hope we get good ones GibH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
merf...Ya i hope we get good ones also ........... Same here with the weather we had a snow storm last week and now another one comeing in.......... This one is to last 3 or 4 days.....

Attachments

• AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 558
  • md.gif
    md.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 569
  • md.gif
    md.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 572
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 557

hbg_photo

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there!

My sister and I want to get our Dad a metal detector for Christmas, and I was wondering if this deal would be a good choice. I know the Time Ranger has been discontinued so I was concerned that, if something were to go wrong, the company might not honor the warranty. Does anyone know if Bounty Hunter will still service and warranty a discontinued product? Also, can anyone tell me if the website offering this deal reputable one? Is the Time Ranger appropriate for a novice?

Dad has been wanting a detector for years now, and I would probably describe his interest as "hobby/fun" level. Years ago he used to be involved in a local archeology club and would dig for arrowheads etc. every weekend, so I'm guessing he might work up to metal detecting on a similar basis. It will probably get the most use at our tree farm in Western Louisiana (clay soil), our rice fields in Southwest Louisiana (?regular soil?) and at the beach (sand, obviously).

Other detectors we are considering are the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and the Garrett ACE 250 (although the 250 is at the top of our price range). Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! I have been scouring forums like this one, but it's time to make a purchase since Christmas is around the corner. I want to get him something he will use and have success, but I don't think he needs a "pro" machine (or rather, my sister and I can't really afford to buy him a "pro" machine). I was thinking that the Time Ranger deal would be an opportunity to get a more advanced detector at a base price.

Thanks,
hbg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hbg,
Meijer's is a retail chain that has been in business for ages, they are reputable. Bounty Hunter will honor the 5 year warranty. First Texas Products is the parent company.

The Time Ranger is (was) Bounty Hunter's top of the line. It is great for beginners and should still provide enough of a challenge to learn well.

Just my $.02

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hbg .. All detector Companys have to have parts and service any detector they quit makeing for 7 years after they quit makeing them........... Like GibH told you Meijer is a company you do not have to worry about .......... They would not service your detector ............. You would get you detector serviced buy .. First Texas also known as .... Bounty Hunter.....Fisher......& Teknetics.... They are all First Texas detectors

Attachments

• AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 561
  • AG00347_.gif
    AG00347_.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 563

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears they are now sold out.

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine from Meijer yesterday---$149.95 - Free shipping and free return shipping with the 8" and 4" coil.
I tested it in my basement coin garden and it is comparable to my Fisher F70 with the 11" DD coil.
Looking forward to the thaw to put it to work in the fields.
IMO this is the best deal yet.

Sorry to hear they are sold out---I would keep checking to see if they get more in.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was delivered Wednesday. I haven't done anything with it yet. Lord knows I don't NEED another detector right now, but I hate to pass up a bargain.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I got mine from Meijer but as soon as i saw it in the forum i ordered it for i knew .............. once it got on the fourm it was going to sell out............... A great deal...... A freind of mine went on line to radio shack but they were sold out on line............... so he called some radio shack stores the first couple he called told him they were only on line and they could not get them.................. But the 3rd store he called said let me check my secondary distributor........... then said yes i can have you one here in 2 or 3 days................ and they did and he got one........ just a little calling around paid off for him....

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 531
  • addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 508
  • addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 504
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 526

VStorm

Dec 23, 2010
Winchester, NH
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar, BH Platinum
Two holiday specials on Bounty Hunter detectors that are available until the end of the year: Dick's Sporting Goods (and other stores) are selling the Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX with a case, a BH pointer and free shipping for $129.00. If you want an entry level detector, it is amazingly powerful and easy to use for such a low cost detector and usually sells for $99.00. The case and pointer generally sell for $90. I just got one for my 10 year old grandson as Bounty Hunters are so light and well made and come with a 5 year warranty. If you want a great deal on Bounty Hunter's current top of the line, Detector Electronics Corp is selling the BH Platinum with case and headphones and other included accessories with free shipping for $299.00. If you can afford it, it is a better detector with newer technology than the Time Ranger which is also a great machine and a good buy ar $150.00. Your going to need a case and headphones anyway so might as well get em for free. You can get it at their website: metaldetector.com (That definitive URL will give you some idea of how long they have been in business and are a VERY reputable company, one of the best in the business with some of the best prices on the net.) But the best deal right now on the BH Platinum (which is a cross between the Technetics 6000 and 8000 models and very powerful and easy to use) would be DEC's eBay seller detectorelectronics where they are selling the same package for $299.00 and it is possible to get an eBay coupon for 10% off bringing the price down to $$269.00 which is $310.00 off the list price before adding the extra accessories. May just be the best deal on the web for a detector that can find coins at 9"-11" even if your a beginner. It has one of the best and easiest to read displays and only weighs a little over two pounds so you can go at it longer, without arm fatigue even if your not used to swinging a detector. All of these deals are fantastic and a boon to all newbies and even most experienced users.

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the Time Ranger owners manual.

DEPTH
The Time Ranger™ can detect U.S. coins to a depth of about 9-11
inches under good conditions. Large objects (55 gallon drums,
manhole covers, etc.) can be detected to a depth of several feet.

It will be fun testing it against the Platinum.

OP
OP
Merf

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Platinum last week and tested it in my coin garden.
It is no deeper than my Time Ranger and less user friendly IMO.
I sent it back to detectorelectronics to exchange it for a Teknetics Delta 4000.
I will post my Delta test results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread