What's new

New Coil at The Brick House.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2014
Messages
12,099
Reaction score
18,282
Golden Thread
1
Location
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Brick house has produced 169 coins prior to yesterday. I hunted this site in 2 directions using the 11" DD Coil and dug all targets. I disc 1-25 and still find larger pieces of foil. The last time I went there using the 11" DD I did not hear anything. Thought I had picked it clean. Yesterday my 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil arrived. :hello2: I went back to the permission to see what else I could find. Not much left as you can see. In 2 hours I covered 30% of the yard. Dug 22 deep targets listening for whispers and iffy's. The coil does add some weight, so I broke out my old Army LBE and 2 bungee cords. It makes a perfect harness and made swinging the heavier set up very easy. I have 7 older local permissions I want to re-hunt with this bigger coil. I will be very busy this weekend. :headbang:

I used to be a clad junkie. Went all over a 50 mile radius cleaning out parks, schools and other public lands. Loved coming home with my nail apron full of clad. I am now satisfied with less coins per hunt, looking for quality over quantity. Only pulled 4 coins in 2 hours (8 cents) but am happy that they were a 1940 nickle and 3 wheats (1930,37, & 53). The 1930 wheat was at about 9.5 inches.

20150702_201940.webp

20150702_164627[1].webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Congratulations on the new coil and finds. Have a great 4th and I hope you clean up this weekend with your new toy.
 
Hello Loco-Digger,

Please keep us posted on the new coil finds in the old permissions. I'm interested in purchasing a large coil for farm field (more depth and coverage) and beach (more coverage) work. Will certainly look into the 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil.

Regards,

Doc
 
I run the SEF 10x12 on my F70.

Considerably deeper than my 10 in concentric was...

I expected it to be chattier. It wasn't.

I like the 10x12 because it really isn't any harder to swing in woods and thickets.

Nice to have a first hand account of the 12x15.
 
I have a very large coil for my minelab,and while it allows for deeper hunting it tires me out too fast.I hope you do well over the weekend. Happy 4th.
 
Nice hunt.

I hear you on your different hunting technique. In the beginning it's great to pull piles of clad and cash 'em in.
As time goes on it's even better to go slow and bring home older, cooler finds.

I've been staying away from the schools and parks lately (not entirely but in general) in favor of older more interesting sites. I guess that's how we grow in this hobby.
 
Last edited:
Some peeps use there clad to purchase old coins,silver,and gold! Nice hunt!
 
Nice! We both used the the big coils today. I was using my Nel on the ATP and was doing okay til it started raining.
 
That coil is a big and heavy. Have one on the E-trac. It has taken it's toll on the "tennis elbow" so we had to take a couple weeks off! It does definitely find them deep coins. Found a few in our old army base area (lots of sand) including some silver that was a good 10 inches deep. Your going to love it!!!!
 
I like that it adds one more tool for finding all I can from permission sites. Just moving up from the F4 to the F75 LTD SE has re-opened sites that I pounded last season. Now with the addition of the large coil, I can swing less and cover the same ground. I plan on taking it out in the fields when they become available in the fall.

When hunting future permissions I will start with my 11" DD coil. This will allow me to pull most of the trash and coins. Instead of doing 2 directions with that coil, I will do the 2nd pass with the large coil.

Using the LBE with a couple bungee cords makes the coil very usable. Without the assistance the rig is too heavy to swing for long periods of time.
I went back to the "Brick House" today and did another 40% of the yard. Dug 24 targets, 22 were trash, 1 -1942 S (OD) nickle and another wheat penny (1941).

I was amazed that I pulled a lead shot that is 1/4" in diameter that was 9 inches deep using the 15" x 12" S.E.F. coil.
 
Nepa-Will installed a weed whacker harness on his detector when using the big coil and says it takes a lot of the strain off the arm. I think he said he bought his for just a few bucks on Amazon.
 
Some peeps use there clad to purchase old coins,silver,and gold! Nice hunt!

I use my clad to for upgrades, fund repairs, and buy other needed supplies and accessories. I only collect the coins that I dig. I bought 13 coin folders that I use for my dug coin collection.
 
Nepa-Will installed a weed whacker harness on his detector when using the big coil and says it takes a lot of the strain off the arm. I think he said he bought his for just a few bucks on Amazon.

Thanks OD, I will look into that. I am pretty happy how the bungee cord works with the Army surplus LBE though.
 
that coil is a monster!, should cover some ground quickly with that! good luck at your old sites!!
 
Ok!!! Someone on here needs to patent and market a harness for us guys getting older.......just saying. :laughing7:
 
Hello Loco!

I see you have the same affliction as me......"Can't sleep at night itis", directly caused by "I might have missed something syndrome" LOL! As you already know, I got a "new to me" T2 and have been practicing in a yard that I was recently granted permission to hunt, and I'm pretty confident that I'll be wanting to go back over that site with one or more of my other machines. Been doing a lot of thinking about time management lately, and felt compelled to share my thoughts with you. Do you realize that you found 99.976% of the coins at your site with your 11" coil. The remaining 4 coins you found account for less than one quarter of one percent (.0231%) of the total amount of coins found! But hey, been there done that, still doing it (going over same site multiple times)! Absolutely nothing wrong with going over a site multiple times, I'm all for it. I can't stand the thought of leaving something cool in the ground! Heck that .02% might include a twenty dollar gold piece, who knows! I have a new strategy, at least for myself. I think from here on out I should take the "once over" finds from a site (more than likely a very high percentage of total finds anyway), move directly on to a new site, and repeat. Going back to already hunted sites only when I have no new sites/permissions to hunt, or it is (due to time/distance/whatever) more practical to hit an already hunted site versus a new one. Sounds to me like a good strategy/plan for bettering my finds to time ratio. If only I can "stick to the plan man" LOL! Very cool finds you been pulling mister, dig on brother!

Edit to my post: after posting I realize that the percentages I gave are not accurate in regards to your site and number of times hunted. The percentages I posted are only good as to finds with your 11" coil versus your new 12x15 coil at your site, at this time. I apologize for rambling on about thoughts I probably should have started a completely seperate thread on. Anyway, I wish you continued success at the site you are currently working over, and all other future sites! HH Loco!
 
Last edited:
Hey L-D, looking forward to what you dig with the new rig!
 
Like the bigger coil!! And good luck with it!

US Men...We Like our new toys!
 
Good luck with your new coil . Your off to a good start
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom