new guy

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
I was just woundering if i am just looking too much into it as a person looking into detecting should i just wait till i get more money to buy a detector . I ony have a budget of 300 dollars and live in southern ohio looking to do coin and maybe relic shooting is there a detector around my budget or should i just save to have a higher budget P.S. i am pretty good at chathing on how to use equipment. Thanks guys

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
So took back the ace 350 after noticing the wires pulling out of the coil and the detector going haywire at the lowest sense i guess thats what i get for buying used so back to the drawling board i have 400$ live is cincinnati ohio where the ground is nice so really just want a good detector with dd coil

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an idea buy an Ace250 like spartacus uses...they run about 212 & with extra 180 you can get a garrett propointer for around 120 ....I wont detect without a pinpointer.....so much faster recovery!I started out with an Ace250 & found more than enough to pay for it 3 times over in less than a year....it is good little detector!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, no need for a 350 and paying an extra $100 when the 250 works for me. Now send me $25 of that $100 you saved and be happy for that lesson :tongue3: There are a ton of decent detectors out there, all of them work too, it boils down to what will make you feel comforatble. What works for one guy, may not work for you :tongue3:

If you come across 2 detectors you like, flip a coin, you can't go wrong :headbang: :laughing7:

o_zarkman44

Greenie
Dec 6, 2012
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am relatively new at detecting and have been using my sons Ace 350. (he upgraded). I am still under my first 100 hours. This afternoon I went to a city park where I found my first wheat and a hat pin/broach with garnets, my first time out . This park is heavily hunted and one of my buddies has pulled out several mercury and barber dimes etc. I hunted an area where he has worked and found lots of silver (with a Minelab). I found a very nice clean 1911 Barber dime, a Indian Head nickle, date not yet known and what appears to be a 1900 Liberty Head nickle in one dig at about 4 inches. They are soaking in hydrogen peroxide This was after about 3 hours of finding nothing but two zinc pennies and a lot of pull tabs and a smashed up transistor radio, crushed cans and bottle caps. I don't dig every hit as I am learning more. But the big hit today indicated dime to quarter with a solid tone at 4 inches. I dug my plug and rolled it back, passed the coil over the hole and had the good tone and indication on the display. With a pin pointer I found one penny. Still a solid ring so I prodded around and found the other penny. Still another solid tone passover and moved more lose dirt around with the pinpointer and found the barber dime. Same 8 inch diameter hole. Passed over the adjoining area with the coil and it rang up solid nickle. Turned out to be a pull tab and ring within 6 inches of my 3 coin find. I know that had whole spot been screened out as trash by other detectors. My son upgraded from the Ace 350 for more disctimination and I know it has limitations. I have searched a beach in Georgia and figured out the mineralization and salt on my own. But still found pocket change in yet another area covered heavily by at least 3-4 other people daily. So I can say I am happy so far with the Ace 350. Would I upgrade if given the chance? Of course! But the one thing many hunters may lack is the patience I have to look and dig. Will I miss stuff? Indeed!. But it appears the better detectors miss stuff too.

OP
OP
T

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
Just ordered a new garrett ace 350 got a great deal can't wait to get put to detect here inbcincinnati thanks for all the help from all the nicebpeople here on the forum will be showing some of my finds on here soon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread