new guy

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
I was just woundering if i am just looking too much into it as a person looking into detecting should i just wait till i get more money to buy a detector . I ony have a budget of 300 dollars and live in southern ohio looking to do coin and maybe relic shooting is there a detector around my budget or should i just save to have a higher budget P.S. i am pretty good at chathing on how to use equipment. Thanks guys

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A White's Coinmaster Pro fits in your budget, easily, and there are others, too. The key to getting what you want is research. Read all the posts about detectors on this site, and then go to other sites, and keep reading. Eventually you'll form an opinion about what you want in a detector. Then you start looking for deals on that unit, or maybe used ones for sale. I like White's machines...they work well, and the customer service is second to none. That said, I wouldn't feel handicapped with other brands, like Tesoro, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, etc. Stick with the big names in detecting and you won't go wrong.
Jim

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just woundering if i am just looking too much into it as a person looking into detecting should i just wait till i get more money to buy a detector . I ony have a budget of 300 dollars and live in southern ohio looking to do coin and maybe relic shooting is there a detector around my budget or should i just save to have a higher budget P.S. i am pretty good at chathing on how to use equipment. Thanks guys

Welcome from White Plains, New York! There are several detectors within your budget, but none of them can be manually ground balanced which will come in very handy in Idaho, where the ground can be heavily mineralized. Save a few more dollars ($450.00) and get a machine like the Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. You will not be sorry.

OP
OP
T

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
Went to a pawn shop this morning they have a garrett ace 350 for 220$ good condition and a minelab 305 in kind of rough for 300$ only thing is no warranty.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have bountyhunter platinum seems to be a good machine and was 300 dollars at metal dectors .com check it. out good luck happy hunting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are several detectors within your budget, but none of them can be manually ground balanced which will come in very handy in Idaho, where the ground can be heavily mineralized.

Good thing he's in Ohio! ;)

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skip the pawn shop. You can get a Tesoro Silver uMax off the big auction site, new for about $260.00. Lifetime warranty, great resale if you ever want to upgrade and they work very well.

Last edited:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any experience with the 350 , but have heard good reports on here about it's good performance . If you could possibly come up with an extra $100 , there is a member on T-Net trying to sell a Whites XLT for $400.00 . Now that Machine will keep you happy for a long time .

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a pawn shop this morning they have a garrett ace 350 for 220$ good condition and a minelab 305 in kind of rough for 300$ only thing is no warranty.

Any comments on the pawn shop detectors

Nothing wrong with the Ace 350. I've used one and I regularly hunt with a buddy that uses one. I've seen him dig coins at 8+ inches on more than one occasion. It's a good solid machine.
Can't comment on the ML305 but I'm sure it's a good performer as well.

Like Jim in Idaho said above , stay with one of the name brands and you'll be fine!

catch

Nov 1, 2012
PONCA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Tesoro Cibola and bought it new for around $400 and it comes with a lifetime warranty. You might be able to look around and find one on sale since it is christmas time. My machine works great and will find anything you want, just take the time to read the manual of what ever you buy and learn to use it correctly and you will be fine.

OP
OP
T

tmshaft

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks nsdq. I think i am going to get ace 350 from pawn shop talked him down to 180$ and i have a week to return it if i don't like it

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
You will be happier in the long run by buying one of the lower-end Teknetics or Tesoros. Few people ever complain about the Tesoros, and they and the Teknetics Alfa 2000 and Delta 4000 will match the Ace's depth and even beat it in harsher soils. So will the Tesoros.

The Ace 350 has that annoying boing, boing delayed phase shift sound like the 150 and 250 and the old 1970's and 1980's technology Bounty Hunter Red Baron and Whites 6000 series, and after awhile it drives lots of people completely nuts, like me. The Aces are not good at finding smallish gold like the Tesoros and Teknetics either, and it doesn't work as well in case you ever try it on a salt beach (some inland beaches have salt (sodium) in the soil too), or in higher mineralization ground either. Aces really suffer on high iron/salt beaches. Tesoros do even better than the cheaper-priced Teknetics in such cases. The Delta 4000 will make you happier in the long run at $379 at KellyCo. And the Tesoro Cibola will make you smile even more at $361, and on metaldetectorreviews.net it and other Tesoros get better reviews than most other brands, and by far.Tesoro Metal Detector Reviews . Check out the guy who hated his Ace 350 and traded it for a Teknetics Delta 400 and how much more pleased he was. Personally, I would chose the Tesoro line, they are nearly bulletproof in reliability, and functionability. If you want to go deeper than a Minelab eTrac at a fraction of the price (in your soil) buy a Tesoro Vaquero, but not a Tejon. the Vaquero is the smoothest-running Tesoro made and it matches the Tejon for depth and doesn't complain as much in really rusty or linear scrap-iron or nail-infected park areas, regardless of which State you live in. I would pass on the Ace 350, there are better detectors out there using newer technology for the same kind of money. Not my opinion, just the facts. Larry

Last edited:

catch

Nov 1, 2012
PONCA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Larry. Like i said i have a tesoro cibola and love it. I have found may items at depths of 7-8 inches with a strong signal.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i am going to get ace 350 from pawn shop talked him down to 180$ and i have a week to return it if i don't like it

There you go problem solved :headbang:

No matter what choices you face in making a decision, the most important one before any investment is will you enjoy the hobby. :dontknow: You just may get tired of finding nothing of value a good deal of time, boring and a complete waste of time. Besides, many of the choices are all decent and if you like the hobby, you can always upgrade if need be at a later date. I use an Ace 250, happy with it, and see no need to upgrade :tongue3:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've scored great deals at pawnshops they will let you playaround and listen to the different tones. If I could have tested My vaquero I wouldn't have bought it. A single tone does'nt do it for me some like it some don't.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we old school guys usually prefer single tone ones best, and the toys often leave a lot of gold in the ground. Some silver is left there too from canceling nails, screws, large tinfoil, etc. I dig everything above small iron and small foil. I've even found women's rings that read way down into the low foil range at only 2" depth. If you want medium to large sized gold rings you had better think twice about canceling pulltabs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread