What's new

New Hunting Spot

DigMO

Full Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
223
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Hey everybody.It's been awhile since I've posted anything but I've been doing a little research and this is what I've found.I actually lucked into this.I was looking for information on something else and came across info on this place.I'd never heard of this place before and so I started searching and asking questions.This was a trolley park that opened up in 1895.It was a booming place back then.They had boating,swimming,tennis courts,baseball field,a roller coaster,dance pavilion,midway,a big swinging bridge and several other things.This place is huge.Then when automobiles came out the trolley business slowly died and so did this park.From what I know this place closed in the 1930's.All the buildings are gone now but the foundations are still there.Sadly,some people have used it for a dump and others have used it for a party spot.I've made a deal with the owner to clean some of the trash for the privilege to detect this place.Anyway,it's just a few finds so far but I'm thrilled just to be there.I found my first Indian Head pennies-1881 and 1886.Also found a 1913 wheatie,I think that one is a hat pin and the other is part of a bracelet that once had a stone in it.Couldn't find the stone.My brother found a 1913 barber dime.Sorry,I forgot to take a pic of it.Hope you all enjoy the pics.
 

Attachments

  • how it used to look-swinging bridge.webp
    how it used to look-swinging bridge.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 818
  • roller coaster at LS.webp
    roller coaster at LS.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 788
  • trolley at LS.webp
    trolley at LS.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 784
  • front entrance.webp
    front entrance.webp
    95.8 KB · Views: 762
  • swinging bridge.webp
    swinging bridge.webp
    91.8 KB · Views: 758
  • trolley bridge.webp
    trolley bridge.webp
    85.5 KB · Views: 778
  • my finds at LS.webp
    my finds at LS.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0
There was a park like that in Charlotte, N.C. that went away in the 30's also. It was Lakeview Amusement Park. Supposedly it was one of the largest of it's kind in the southeast. It had a roller coaster,a pavillion built out over a lake, and lots of kiddy rides and such. I mentioned it to some of the detectorists around here and they said part of it was fenced in by Duke Power Electric Co. and part was on an old elementary school ground and it was all in a neighborhood that you may or may not make it out of in one piece. I was bummed out and never persued it past that point. Sounds like you have hit one that is identical in history and size, but in an area that is searchable. Way to do your homework!! I wish you tons of good finds!!

HH,
Ramapirate
 
Sorry about the wrong name there, it was actually "Lakewood Park" not "Lakeview"
Here's a picture:
 

Attachments

  • CltLakewoodPark6.webp
    CltLakewoodPark6.webp
    79 KB · Views: 234

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom