What's new

new light on shell hoes??

trevmma

Bronze Member
Joined
May 23, 2006
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
683
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a personal find of mine that I handed to my buddy, at first I thought was two shell hoes, turns out to be one complete shell that is warn exactly the same in both top and bottom, witoh the hole perfectly poked through both. Any on think they just could have been used together. Let's hear ur comments about them. I mean they are exactly the same shape and all.thanks for looking. [/video]
 
Upvote 0
Calling Gator....

Gator come in
 
I'm having a tuff time seeing that as a hoe. It even looks like the mother of Pearl still lines the interior. That would Have been worn off I would think. I don't have anything as far as a guess at the moment. The only thing I have similar are net weights.
They never did any farming in my area.

ForumRunner_20130214_115119.webp

Seems more likely to me something like that would have been used for slicing gords or removing corn/maze from the Cobb. "Dunno"
 
Last edited:
I was doing some research online and saw alot of examples of things described as shell hoes from that area...though most didn't look like hoes to me. Seems it would take a pretty robust shell to hold up as a hoe. JMO.
 
Seems something like this Would work much better.
That's a shell celt from my area; Shell was used for things like that because of a lack of quality lithic material in some parts of the state. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of stone much better suited for the job of a hoe in that area. I can't see using inferior material for a particular job unless it was necessary.

ForumRunner_20130214_122436.webp
 
Last edited:
what I brought this up a lot of the hose I find do have the pearl. but I have found many broken shell hose but now that I think about it maybe they were not broken they were a match somewhere made just like this for a tool of some sort. or were done used as people think and they all had a matching set
 
Hope you get it figured out.
 
I've just never seen anything like it in any readings.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom