Welcome to the forum, Dave. Are you sure
all of that trash is "trash"? Since your home was built around 1889 or so, you should be finding some coins at least; unless the yard has been filled in over the years. A good way to evaluate this is to look at any sidewalks, pathways, driveways, etc. that have been in place for awhile. If the surface of the sidewalk is
below the level of the lawn, there's a very good chance that the lawn area has been filled in and/or sodded over the years and any good targets will be
deep. If the sidewalk's surface is above or
well above the lawn's level, then the lawn is most probably "original" and the coins and other goodies will be about the depth of the grassroots. To illustrate my point, last summer I was coin shooting my old high school (built in 1923) and popped up a Buffalo nickel from the grassroots (about 2 inches) in one section of the front lawn that has never been filled and sodded. The sidewalk's surface is wellllll above the lawn's surface where I was searching. Over on the opposite side of the area, I'd have to dig at least 5 inches or more because it has been filled at one time in the past. I know this for sure because I graduated from this school in 1965 and am
positive about the yard's maintenance.
I have found this basic guide to be true all over this country (including Alaska)
Being as old as it is; your home probably has a front porch. Be sure to check the area of the yard from the edge of the porch out to about 6 feet. Kids jumping off of the porch, then rolling on the ground down through the years will leave coins. Plus, sweepings from the porch end up on the nearest section of the yard. My son and I have found coin "nests" within the 6 foot stretches of old yards. My son found his first silver Rosie dime this way and it was just at grassroot level. That yard had never been filled or sodded. (see tip above,

) I have consistently found old coins at root level, so don't be afraid to backoff of the sensitivity control to get cleaner operation. I found an old uniform button at root level at an old home lot in my hometown.
This post is pretty long, but I thought it to be an important piece of info for your "tool bag". Good luck.