You ready for this? I got to actually see and swing one of these. For real. Interesting machine. And I got to talk to some people who were actually at Detectival in the UK recently. Here's what I saw and gathered. Overall, some people got some very good items at this hunt in England. Some did not. Pretty much all brands of machines were represented. One of the Minelab guys suggested the Equinox goes deeper than the Deus. So much for the hearsay.
I did not actually detect with the Equinox. They aren't having old cats just run off with one for a test spin! Let me make that clear. On a positive note, it is much lighter than the heavy armor Minelab has been producing over the years. That will help a lot. The coil that comes with it is fairly large. It is going to be interesting to see if it can find tiny items. I have found with other brands, the bigger the coil, the less likely you will find a 22 bullet down a few inches, while you will find one with a smaller coil. We shall see.
It has a straight shaft. When I swung the machine, it was, uh, odd. Maybe that's how to put it. Of course, I did not have the opportunity to shorten or lengthen the shaft, if that can be done, and did not use it long. The "swing" didn't have a good balance, in my opinion. The arm cuff slapped against my arm. I was told it weighs 2.9 pounds.
Meter was easy enough to read. That's a plus. Good underwater to 10 feet, as I was told.
So first impression, at the price they are offering it will be a challenge to the F75 and the AT Pro, as well as some of the other mid line machines out there. With the straight shaft, I'm not sure if they were thinking more of an underwater machine, especially with the big coil, or what. Big coil in thick woods or brush will be a challenge.
Even with multi frequency, I'm not sure how it will do with the horrible Virginia red soil. I just don't know. In moderate soil, or sandy soil I see no issues at all. Hot rocks, who knows? Iron patch, only one way to find out. Underwater I would assume be fine as Minelab does produce good underwater machines.
So here's the bottom line: If you are already thinking of upgrading from a turn on and go machine, this machine will probably be a good bet. Will it beat everything out there? Probably not. Having a decent site to dig and YOUR skills plays as much into detecting as which machine or machines you have. If you like having a LOT of machines, adding one more won't hurt at all.
Now there is some talk as to whether it will be better than the XP Deus. This answer isn't REALLY sideways, but it's yes and no. If you don't water hunt, that feature won't help. It weighs about 1 pound more than a Deus. That can make a difference on a long hunt. The 800 model goes up to 40 khz while the Deus to, I think 78 khz. The higher frequency on the Deus IN SOME CASES will help. I have been scarfing up gold with the Deus HF coil in the higher frequency ranges. Lots of gold. And deep coins and buttons.
Will I buy one? Don't know. I already have two perfectly good machines. They are finding LOTS of good things. Both of them. Tesoro Cibola and an XP Deus.
I will try out the Equinox if possible when they are available, but these days, will not buy any machine before I can test drive it. Just some observations. If one of my buddies gets one, i'll take it for a spin and decide at that point.