New Site Yields Awesome Detail 1857-O Seated Half-Dime & Artillery & Cavalry Buttons

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New Site Yields Awesome Detail 1857-O Seated Half-Dime & Artillery & Cavalry Buttons

Me and my buddy scored a new permission and we hit big today.
He dug a 1904 barber dime right off the bat, and then i dug my first half-dime ten minutes later.
A beautiful detailed 1857-0 Seated Liberty Half-dime.
DSC03348.JPG DSC03351.JPG
Wish my camera took better pics. This sucker is a beauty........
After that it started raining and we had to take a break.
When the rain stopped we started again and it was a little slow at first.
Basher then dug a nice US Flat button with an eagle above the letters US. Then he digs a 1840 Half-Dime.
We both got our first Half-dimes today. Wow.
It was starting to get ugly, and i thought i was about to get smoked, and then in a 30 minute time frame i dig 3 nice early dome shaped eagle flat buttons. 2 with a D on the shield, and one with an A.
DSC03352.JPG DSC03353.JPG DSC03355.JPG DSC03357.JPG
What a freakin day. Going back tomorrow. Cant freakin wait.
This new site is turning out to be a good one.
I loaned my Button Book out yesterday. Anyone care to ID these for me.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Y'all are on a roll!!! Stay with it...d2
Thanks D2. Finally making it home and getting settled in from Sundays Hunt.
Had some great sites open up recently.
Wow �� wish my only half dime looked half that nice
Thanks Toasted. Wish all my silvers looked that nice.
This is my 4th seated this year, and my prettiest by far.
Sometimes it's hard to gamble, but I'd say that new spot paid off! That's is a SHARP half dime, and the buttons are great too.
Thanks J. Saturday was Epic. The new site paid off for sure.
awsome hunt !!!well done !!
Thanks Big. I wont ever forget this weekend.
Very nice finds! That half dime was fresh from the mint when it entered the ground! You know what that means?! It means the last person to touch that coin before you was walking around in pre-Civil War America! Probably the biggest news story he was reading up on was the troubles in Kansas over whether or not the state should be a free or slave state. He probably sensed the imminent war between the states as it was in the late 1850's when the lines really began to become clear. Very cool :treasurechest::thumbsup:
Thanks Under. That's pretty interesting to think about. Those were troubling times.
Well, I'm not big on coins, but even I can see the gorgeous condition of that thing. Now those buttons, that's a different story. THAT'S what lights MY fire. And they are REALLY nice shape as well. Obviously, your buttons are pre-CW. I don't know if they go back as far as 1812, somebody will let you know . . . but not found often. I know THAT much. And three in a day?! Not fair at all.
Thanks Parson. I had 3 firsts yesterday. First half-dime, first Artillery button, and cavalry buttons. I have been hoping for those firsts all year.
Beautiful dream finds! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: Congrats! Andi
Thanks Andi. All of those firsts were indeed Dream Finds for me.
:occasion14: CONGRATS on that lot!
Thanks Crusader. Was a great day.
Congrats on digging one of my bucket listers. One less for me to dig. Sounds like ya'll have a great site.
Thanks Loco. I dug 3 of my bucket listers in one day. Wish that would happen more often... It is a great site. Gona be sad when it peters out.
Bonepicker, your "BEST YEAR EVER" continues on strong!
Thanks Nick.. The best year continues... Wait til you see what I dug Sunday...
Looks like an amazing site!
Thanks Doc. And it is amazing.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a darn crisp dime and the other relics are sweet too!
Thanks Coily.. Its hard to believe one of my prettiest silver coins is over 150 years old.
I would say the buttons are 1820s. Very sweet digs.
Thanks Relic Lover... And thanks for the ID.
Nice dig!
Thanks Ken.
Fantastic roll you have been on.
Congrats, thats a killer coin..
Thanks Vino. I hope it continues. We just so happened to luck out on a couple great permissions that have been very generous.
The D is for Dragoon and they were disbanded in the 1850s if I'm not mistaken.Great early finds.
Thanks Tony. I remember reading that, but couldn't remem. I just knew it was cavalry. Thanks for the ID.

THANKS CASPER

Wow! What a hunt. The US button with eagle is a Great Coat button. The one piece eagle A and the Dragoon (D) are 1820s buttons. One piece domed Dragoons are rare. You just don't see those being dug. The one piece domed eagle A is more common. In fact I dug one today. Love the coins too. Great day guys!!
Thanks Steve. And Thanks for the ID's Its cool to find something rare. I just remembered I also dug a 1812 British Dragoons Ball Button earlier this year.
Any idea on the value of the US Dragoons buttons? Congrats on your artillery button.
DANG PICKER THATS SOME NICE CW RELICS ....
Thanks Sutphin.

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You cleaned up today and then some! Big congrats on that beautiful half!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread