What's new

New stuff

SoIll

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
691
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
Location
Il
I actually got these off of my brother when he found himself in a bind last month.
Does anyone know the type on the point? I was thinking Osceola, but I don't really know.
I really like these pieces. I didn't have any fully-grooved axes, but I do now.
Enjoy.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a greenbriar to me and a nice one at that. Nice axe also. Is the material of the axe granite? I have one a friend sent me years ago still in a box from arizona? It looks like that material..
Nice to help your bro out.

TnMountains
 
I really don't know my hardstone materials too well. I guess it could be granite.
 
Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:
 
Nice Ax!!! It looks to me like the material would be granitic.. There's more mafic minerals in the stone artifact than k-spar which is pink. The mineral grains seem to be all conistently small throughout, which means the material was cooled beneath the earths surface (intrusive)... I would have to get a closer look.. Cool artifact
 
It's definitely in the Greenbrier, Osceola, Big Sandy, Matanzas family of points. I usually just lump them into the Archaic Side Notch category and go from there if I'm not 100% certain.

Nice pieces!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom