What's new

New to Coin Roll Hunting

LookN4pnts

Greenie
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got 600 dimes today. 200 from each of 3 different banks. Oldest I found was 1965. No silver,....bummer. How many will I have to look through before I find at least a 1964 Roosevelt? This was my first time.
 
Upvote 0
instead of 200 ask for 250 to get a full box?

by 1k you should have 1 or just quit :icon_scratch:
 
You should also try your luck with nickels if you are limited on funds. Welcome to the insane asylum.

Golden Silver
 
d2arcing said:
instead of 200 ask for 250 to get a full box?

by 1k you should have 1 or just quit :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls). What is the difference in getting the boxes versus maybe getting 5 paper rolls which would have 250 coins too? Are the chances better for finding silver in a box because you have an extra 50 coins instead of the 4 rolls of 200 coins or is there another reason the box is better? Just asking questions because I don't know and want to learn more. Thanks.
 
LookN4pnts said:
d2arcing said:
instead of 200 ask for 250 to get a full box?

by 1k you should have 1 or just quit :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls). What is the difference in getting the boxes versus maybe getting 5 paper rolls which would have 250 coins too? Are the chances better for finding silver in a box because you have an extra 50 coins instead of the 4 rolls of 200 coins or is there another reason the box is better? Just asking questions because I don't know and want to learn more. Thanks.

oh i didnt read it as 600 dimes, i read it as 600 dollars in dimes. 250 dollars is a box, and averages say you should find like 1 silver dime per box. your wasting gas. just get all at one bank, as volume is the key. so all in one place i think is better, then dump and try all at another to test other waters
 
LookN4pnts said:
Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls).
To quote one of the greatest movies of all time... "What we have here is a failure to communicate". A box is $250 or 50 rolls. For the year I've averaged just under 2 silver / box ($250). Buying 4 or 5 rolls is hit or miss at best but that sums up the hobby in general! Welcome and best of luck!
 
d2arcing said:
LookN4pnts said:
d2arcing said:
instead of 200 ask for 250 to get a full box?

by 1k you should have 1 or just quit :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the info. So, 250 is a box? I was getting 4 paper rolls of dimes at each bank which has 50 per roll($5 rolls). What is the difference in getting the boxes versus maybe getting 5 paper rolls which would have 250 coins too? Are the chances better for finding silver in a box because you have an extra 50 coins instead of the 4 rolls of 200 coins or is there another reason the box is better? Just asking questions because I don't know and want to learn more. Thanks.

oh i didnt read it as 600 dimes, i read it as 600 dollars in dimes. 250 dollars is a box, and averages say you should find like 1 silver dime per box. your wasting gas. just get all at one bank, as volume is the key. so all in one place i think is better, then dump and try all at another to test other waters

Ok, that explains it alot better. Thanks for all the info.
 
Welcome to the hobby!

When I started out in January, I started out very slow ($20 in dime rolls at once) and slowly worked my way up. 240 silver dimes later, I haven't looked back.

Odds are that you'll find more in boxes, but in reality you just never know. My biggest dime find ever (54 silvers) came out of two rolls. Boxes are pretty reliable but there are definitely skunks out there. But it's the whole unknown factor that makes this such an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!
cuttybce
 
cuttybce said:
Welcome to the hobby!

When I started out in January, I started out very slow ($20 in dime rolls at once) and slowly worked my way up. 240 silver dimes later, I haven't looked back.

Odds are that you'll find more in boxes, but in reality you just never know. My biggest dime find ever (54 silvers) came out of two rolls. Boxes are pretty reliable but there are definitely skunks out there. But it's the whole unknown factor that makes this such an interesting and rewarding hobby.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!
cuttybce

Thanks cuttybce for the inspiration and pointers.
 
thats very very very low. you should usally find about 1 every 100 hundred dollars

good luck. keep at it.
 
Welcome LookN, posters here love this hobby! I must say that if you are looking for wealth through the discovery of silver dimes, forget it. It's a hobby for most of us, I like searching the dimes, but it costs me more than it's worth. The key is to buy a large volume, say $1,000 in dimes, in one shot. That way, you might average 5-10 silver dimes and break even in gasoline costs to pick up and then dump the clad. If you search customer rolls, you might even luck out as some have, and score a partial or full roll of silver. Ask for halves while picking up dimes, there's always the chance to pick up a silver half or two or better, increasing your profit.
The main reason I search dimes is to find the oldies, and I've found several 100 year old Barber dimes, lots of mercury dimes, lots of Canadian silver, and the odd foreign coin.
Good luck! ffd
 
ya...i would say to search dimes either by 1-2 box incriments...other than that its not worth it...WELCOME TO THE FORUM THO!!!
 
on average I would say one silver roosevelt every 2 boxes ($500 face, 5,000 dimes) and a Merc every 6 or 7 boxes. My yields tend to be much lower than the average here and are skewed by my first 14 boxes all being busts before I found my first one.
So your results may be better but even at this, but dont waste time worrying when you could be doing - just order 4 boxes from your bank and turn 'em around quick!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom