new to detecting any tips

noobie

Jan 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd2 tesoro compadre Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new and yesterday I went detecting and got 79 cents and a earring that possibly could have silver gold and a. pearl all around one tree should I keep going. Also it was a 2 hour hunt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try all metal go slow and check them iffy signals

Sometimes, being on Treasurenet makes me feel like an addict, and I'm at an AA meeting except I'm here for the encouragement and to encourage others to keep the addiction going.:icon_scratch: Good luck Noobie! And I like to hunt with iron and foil mostly disc. out with the sensitivity at or just above the factory pre-set.

Ty and I will. Keep you informed on my next hunt there on Sunday

Hey Noobie. Just to let you know, Iv'e taken the advice of dig everything and I don't recommend it. Not to say that I don't think you shouldn't dig everything, but I think you should crawl before you walk. Ive been detecting for a little over 2 years now and switched to a new machine because I listened to that same "dig everything" advice.

First off, what kind of detector are you using? This might help if someone on here has your machine and can recommend settings they use in your area.

With out knowing what you are using, I would suggest to start with bench testing your machine. Get some coins from the bank, change jar, and silver coins (even if you have to buy or borrow one). Then get some gold and silver jewelry and finally some trash (pop tops, aluminum, nails, steel bolts, small tin foil wadded up, and even bottle caps). See how they sound (or see...if you have a screen that shows what you're finding). Check depths or distance, to see how the sound changes. Tweak the settings to find what you like, and what you don't like. Pay attention to small gold sounds, especially because they will sound and read like a pull tab or pop top from time to time. BUT you can skip this if you have the bug to just dig, you can learn that way too.

If you want to learn in the "field" so to speak, start with a cleanish area, like your front yard. Look in areas where people would get out of their car and drop change or dig out their keys before they get to the front door. Change, rings and chains can fall out of a purse or pocket in to the grass and no one would ever hear they lost something. Side walks, driveways and paths that cut through the front lawn to the front door are great places to look. ALWAYS dig everything in THOSE areas. This way you know you didn't miss something good. When you think you want to try a more public place, check parks. Don't try and just hit any place at the park because parks are heavy in trash mostly, but still have good stuff in the right places. Start with parking lots where grass or dirt is next to the car door opening, then move to sitting areas (not picnic benches.....loaded with trash most of the time). Maybe places where parents watch their kids play.

Once you have found a good amount of change, and jewelry they go buck wild and be creative. I only say this because you'll get burnt out quick if all you dig is garbage. Find some easy coin first, then move on to find the jewels, and treasures this way you wet your whistle and learn your machine at the same time.

Good luck out there man, and HH.

right now i'm using a bounty hunter quick draw two and a garrett pro pointer i'm upgrading to the fisher f2 ty very much for that tip.

That's a pretty cool detector. It's good that I has a VDI number that you can test things with to see what falls under it. That Garrett Pro is a sweet pin pointer. I have a Bullseye II I like that I can set it up to run silent, but I like how the Garrett had the distance vibrate. Does it have a silent mode too, or just the audio with vibrate?

I'm new to this too and I've really started lemming to my detector and I have gotten real good at finding coins in fact I dig more coins then I do trash finally. Sometimes its fun to dig everything but after awhile I get irritated with the trash. I really enjoy the coins though. I can't wait to find some jewelery especially my wedding ring I lost damn thing keeps eluding me ugh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back