New to E-trac.............coil question

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waiting for Spring so I can use this new machine. After 2 years with an AT Pro, and the 5x8 DD coil that I never took of, once I got it, because it was awesome. Question? I have the 11" stock coil, as well as a Coiltek 10x5..for the E-trac I hunt home sites, parks, beach, schools................normal trash, for those sites................do I leave the stock coil on ......or go with the 10x5? I dont want to extend the learning curve, but I know how much better the small coil was on the ATP..........is there much difference between those two, and how close is the 10x5 to say a 6" or 8" round coil ??????

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would stay with the stock coil till you're more comfortable with the machine. You'll find the sounds are quite different from the AT. And that's how you learn. Don't even look at the screen until you're thinking you're going to dig, and dig all except the iron nulls. Once your ear is tuned, then expand your horizons. But don't swap coils until you're "qualified to judge".

I tried to do everything at first and it just confused me. Simplify!! And, then you can swap coils. You might look at picking up a lower rod for the other coil - makes it a lot easier when handling multiple coils.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks deepseeker. I already have it on its own lower rod. Looking to spend this first year keeping it as simple as I can, but still get the most from the machine, as well as my time in the field. I have about wore out Andy's book, in the last 30 days!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks deepseeker. I already have it on its own lower rod. Looking to spend this first year keeping it as simple as I can, but still get the most from the machine, as well as my time in the field. I have about wore out Andy's book, in the last 30 days!

Yeah, and I'm still going back to it 2 years later. You've the emulator software, right? It was kinda darned hard to find 2 years ago. It's out there somewhere!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can't find the emulator software, PM your e-mail addy, I'm certain I have the software installation program saved. I'm a packrat!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Sunray 8" coil for schools, parks, etc. where there are amounts of trash. Just like you liked the 5x8 on your ATP you will likely like an 8" coil on your e trac. I only switch up to the stock coil or larger for open field or woods hunting.

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to Andy Sabbish's book, " the loss of depth is minimal, going to a smaller DD coil, as compared to a smaller concentric coil. Only 1" difference in coverage from stock 11" to the 10x5, weight within oz's of each other, new to this machine, not sure which one to start with, when this snow melts. Leaning towards the Coiltek 10x5

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stay with the stock coil till you're more comfortable with the machine. You'll find the sounds are quite different from the AT. And that's how you learn. Don't even look at the screen until you're thinking you're going to dig, and dig all except the iron nulls. Once your ear is tuned, then expand your horizons. But don't swap coils until you're "qualified to judge".

I tried to do everything at first and it just confused me. Simplify!! And, then you can swap coils. You might look at picking up a lower rod for the other coil - makes it a lot easier when handling multiple coils.

I am switching to the etrac from an atpro this year also, matter of fact in about 3 weeks, I LOVE this piece of advice, I should cover my screen and not even read the vdi's. I dig everything with my atpro, so ill try the same with the etrac:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Andy Sabbish's book, " the loss of depth is minimal, going to a smaller DD coil, as compared to a smaller concentric coil. Only 1" difference in coverage from stock 11" to the 10x5, weight within oz's of each other, new to this machine, not sure which one to start with, when this snow melts. Leaning towards the Coiltek 10x5
I like the 5X10 coil for trashy areas and the TTF setting. I use the 15"WOT for large/and or less trashy areas. I rarely use the stock coil now. Mainly use it for small underwater areas.

MARCVS

Sep 27, 2008
Europe
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White`s Eagle Spectrum II,White`s DFX,Minelab X-Terra 705,Minelab GPX 4500,White`s MX Sport,Minelab E-Trac,Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My choise of coils for E-Trac:
Stock coil is amazing all-round coil.
SEF 8x6 DD coil is great for trashy fields
13 Ultimate coil for flat fields and for little more depth (not much,but 1 inch is enough sometimes)...amazing thing is that is very sensitive for tiny silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread