New to forum: Relating my last 3 years of searching half dollars.

G

gold fault

Hi,
I am new to this forum as I just stumbled on it. I would like to relate my search story over the last 3 years. I started out looking for Kennedy half variations, but after finding silver halves my search quickly focused on that. I started out slow, only getting $500 about once a month, but as I found my bank accommodating I increased to $5000 twice a month. Over the last 2 years I was at a steady $8,000 to $10,000 range 2 times per month. I bought a dolly to lug the stuff around, as it came prewrapped in boxes from Brinks that were delivered to the bank. The only rule the bank had was for me not to bring them back. I had about 10 to 15 banks around the area that were my dumping ground. I tried to disperse them evenly so that nobody got too upset. I purchased wrappers by the 10,000 lot from a wrapper company. This whole thing became almost a second business for me. I never lost the fun side though and always loved the thrill of the hunt. At times I would get only a roll or two of 40% and a few 90%. At other times I would hit large bonanzas. One box I remember had at least half of each roll I opened being silver, with a mix of walkers, franklins and kennedy halves. The last 2 years I was able to pay for vacations for myself and my son just off the profits. I really have no idea of the amount of silver that I found, but the money I made was easily over $10,000 just in silver and that was when silver was a little lower then now. I also found numerous varieties, a very fine 1938 D walker, over 300 assorted proof Kennedy halves and Franklin halves. In one box I found 24 proof 1964 Kennedy halves along with several proof franklins. I put together 4 complete Franklin sets with nice coins, no junk. I also found a 1972 Kennedy that was struck on a foreign planchet. The planchet was meant for a $5 Taiwan coin. Fred Weinberg bought it from me for $500 and I think he doubled his money on it. Oddly enough, in all of this I only found 2 Barber halves in good condition, but I am not complaining. I have now moved to Arizona and I have 2 mining claims that are keeping me busy. Plus I don't think I could find a bank as nice as the one I had in Columbus. I did receive some repeat coins that I swear I must have saw a hundred times with red paint or certain marks on them, but for the most part I received a lot of new material because they shipped from Cincinnati. So a very large area was dumping new halves all the time. Thanks for letting me ramble, I have wanted to tell people about this for a while, but most folks thought I had lost my mind. Take care, Bob.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Gold Fault, and an outstanding retrospective on what can be accomplished in CRH with some dedication and patience (and lots of ready cash!).

Nice going on that foreign planchet sale. Fred Weinberg is a pretty high end error firm and they don't deal in junk so for them to buy a piece for $500 means you had quite a find.

If you've got the mettle give it another try in AZ. As much as banks can be a pain where the sun don't shine, we also come across some that are very accommodating. You already know the profit potential.

Thanks for posting!

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I have never been able to find anything in Columbus!!!!!!!! That's where I live!!!! You've searched this town dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that you're gone, please PLEASE tell me: what bank is so accomodating???? All the Columbus banks I go to must be your reject banks, because they HATE to order me halves, and they all seem to know about CRHing and all the halves they do have have already been searched. That explains SOOOO much. No wonder I can never find silver halves. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Private Message me with info on Columbus banks.

OP
OP
G

gold fault

I don't have any pictures, but I did post numerous ones on Ebay as I sold some of the coins. I sold all of the proofs in a lot and got about $600 for them. Some of them were nice coins for sets and some had been around the block a few times.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for the post and thanks for the PM. Good luck with your mining claims!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread