What's new

New to metal detecting

J. Bracy

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 20, 2019
Messages
1
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relatively new to metal detecting and finding it hard to find places to search without having to get permission. Or more to the point, finding someone authorized to give permission.... Also learning that the beaches here along the outer banks are protected, use of detectors are prohibited. Any suggestions on areas in Eastern NC? Doesn't even have to be the beach.
 
Welcome to TreasureNet. If it’s not posted no detecting it’s probably ok not including above named places. Good luck!
 
Welcome. I put nice attire on and drive a nice clean car to a house and door knock. Smiling broadly I get permission about 90% of the time.
 
Like everyone said! :icon_thumleft: Private property always requires permission. :headbang:
 
Welcome from Indiana
 
Almost all towns and many parks commissions/departments have web sites. You can usually find a link the towns/cities ordinances via their website. Similarly you can find the rules to many parks on line. Here in my area of Ohio you are safe hunting those public lands, just do it during off times.
 
My county does not allow detecting on county property, however, the schools are ok out of school hours. County to the west is ok to detect with a free permit. County to the east allows no detecting. That's how it is. Try finding and joining a local metal detecting club if you have one anywhere close.
 
I will usually door knock with my son and use his boyscout ambitions as leverage. If that does not work then i stalk the house to learn there routines.. then once the owners go to sleep i start digging. Just kiddin but some houses that have said no i have thought about it.

Welcome to Tnet and a great hobby!!
 
Here, state parks out of the question...DNR are relentless. City parks usually ok. There are laws and regulations specifically for MD'ing here but generally no one cares what you're doing as long as you're not 'excavating'. I get an occasional paranoid that calls authority because they see someone doing something they themselves do not do...I don't get people sometimes. Otherwise, kids pester me most of anyone and they're generally not there for very long. If they just watch I don't care. I've never asked permission to hunt someone's yard...a lot of times 'I' get asked to do a yard through word of mouth instead. One day ill try to ask to hunt a yard.
 
Relatively new to metal detecting...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum:North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
 
The OBX National Seashore is basically a National Park and detecting is highly prohibited, unfortunately. However from Nags Head north is ok to detect.
 
Welcome. I put nice attire on and drive a nice clean car to a house and door knock. Smiling broadly I get permission about 90% of the time.

Same here! I am a relatively new detectorist, but so far I have gotten 7 or 8 people to let me hunt on private property and everyone has said yes (with the exception of one who said no because the person had a metal detector themselves). Just got to ask em. Sort of seems awkward sometimes though, but it is worth it...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom