new to site

D

digitdd

Hi everyone,
New to the both the hunt and the forum. I've only been at it since June, and I'm having trouble trying to identify the points I've found. I was hoping maybe someone could lend me a little knowledge. Here's a couple pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• Points 9-7-06 001 Small Web view.jpg
    Points 9-7-06 001 Small Web view.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Points 9-7-06 004 Small Web view.jpg
    Points 9-7-06 004 Small Web view.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Points 9-7-06 005 Small Web view.jpg
    Points 9-7-06 005 Small Web view.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 183
  • Points 9-7-06 007 Small Web view.jpg
    Points 9-7-06 007 Small Web view.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum! Top picture looks like a Cahokia point. Bottom picture... well to be honest looks like a fake.. it could very well just be the picture to- was it given to you or did you find it? The middle points look like woodland type tools/points. The top and middle pics would be typical of central Illiinois, eastern Missouri, eastern Iowa... where do you live?

OP
OP
D

digitdd

I live in Western Colorado. I found all of these on the surface of my property. Sorry about the poor pic on that bottom one. If it helps, it looks and feels like a piece of petrified wood.

Thanks again

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Shows ya how much I know! That's pretty cool that they were on your property- where there's one there's more, keep looking!!! Given your location that top one probably isn't a Cahokia point and the others may or may not be woodland period- I'm not at all familiar with the Western lithic typologies but I'm sure there's others on here who will be able to help you out.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey digitdd,
Welcome to the forum and here is my opnion on some of the points you found. Since they were all found on your property by you I've typed the ones I could and they all seem to fit into the same time period.

The first point is what looks like a classic Billings point from late prehistoric, 300-150 B.P.

The second pic. on top looks like a Side Knife also late prehistoric, 500-300 B.P.

The bottom point looks like a Stott point from the late prehistoric, 1300-600 B.P.

Hope this will help you out some, and I'm sorry I couldn't help more. One thing is for sure you have a great area to hunt in.
badandy

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya Digitdd,