What's new

New to the site and I love it!

kingstewie

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I have 2 1916 mercury dimes.
I can't see the "D" because of rubbing. Is there any other way to define a "D" other than the physical "D"?
Also I live in Southern Indiana and my house was built in the late 1800's, there used to be a road that went from New Albany to St. Louis that went right by my house. I was also told that within 500 ft of my house was a carriage stop or stage stop. I have a metal detector and have looked and looked and looked for something, anything, and find nothing but old tractor parts and nails. Any suggestions on how and where to look , as far as old ponds, or landmarks? Any help would be great. I love this site and have spent the last 2 hours reading about neat finds and treasure and now I've got the fever! Thanks, Steve
[/img]
 

Attachments

  • 190261508698_1_0_1.webp
    190261508698_1_0_1.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 126
first off welcome to Tnet. Second take pics of the mercs so we can see them. Third see if you can pull up some old maps of your area and determine where things were back in the late 1800's. Some of the old maps are available online or at your local history dept of the library. Other than that if you just want to get out there and dig up stuff then try going in a grid pattern and dig.

We will all help you on this site so just ask any questions you have.

Again...welcome :thumbsup:

Funkman
 
X-Star.webp​
 

Attachments

  • X-Star.webp
    X-Star.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 188
Well my opinion is to keep looking around your place. The more "trash" you dig up the cleaner you get the place and the more likely you are to find some good stuff.

I have now pulled 545 coins out of my yard (500 of them Zinc Pennies) and the other day when I was detecting I came across a 52 Wheat penny that I had missed in the past. Still not one silver out of our yard but we have found two 1950's wheats so there may still be one lurking somewhere.

Schools, playgrounds, old homesites, old foundations where old homes used to sit. Fields near rivers and streams.... just a few ideas.

Welcome to the forum.
 
I think funkman said it...check out the old maps. Go to the map forum on here and you'll find links to maps of your state and maybe locally.

If you love this site...you should sign up for charter membership. The search function you get with it would be a big help for you. Instead of scrolling thru all the forums, you just type in a key word and get some results. I like it.

Al
 
Stop now. Finding stuff only increases the fever! You have been warned. :wink: ;D

One tip - Keep hunting your yard - 10, 20, xx times. Until you have hunted your place in wet and in dry, in cold and in warm and for hours and not dig a single target it is worth hunting. The only exception to this is if the property was filled in/relandscaped. Then you get a small reprieve (cause most likely all the good stuff will be beyond reach of the detector).

Bob
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom