New treasure hunter from upstate NY

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Hi all, after a lot of interest in hunting but without buying an MD I finally got one from my mother-in-law for Christmas. It's only a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which is a pretty cheap model as far as experienced hunters go, but it seems well-suited for a beginner like me.

I've already gone out into my yard and found a couple coins, pop tops and some nails so I'm getting the hang of how it works and what to listen for.

I live up in the Watertown, NY area near Lake Ontario and would love to know if anybody has had any success hunting in the area around the lake as there are some lake beaches as well as old War of 1812 sites. I'm using my time during the winter to do some research so I can get out and hunt as soon as the ground thaws. Until than just exploring the woods by my house and training my ears what to listen for.

Hope to talk to all of you soon.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Welcome to TNet, NatorMVP! Always nice to meet new members.

I'm from the other coast, so I probably can't help you much hunting your area. Mostly detector use is just getting out and doing it. But you can find more by researching the older parts of your area, and where people might have lost or buried coins before banks became commonplace.

Looks like sniper garb. Am I right?

OP
OP
NatorMVP

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Actually it's a chemical suit (Joint Service Lightweight Integrated Suit Technology JSLIST) with my M40 protective mask. I was bored in Iraq last year so I got dressed up and was training some buddies on combat in the chemical suit.

Thanks for the welcome though. There are a lot of historical sites where a lot of naval battles were fought in the lake and rivers so I'm researching where I'd be allowed to hunt without disturbing any historical sites.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First, thank you for your service!

Do you dive? Many of the wrecks/battles were in pretty deep water, even for suit-assisted recoveries.

Check the smaller creeks and shallow rivers nearby, too. Everything erodes. Sooner or later it gets into the waterways. Hopefully it won't be too deep there.

This is going to sound, ah, distasteful, but sewage outlet sites often are good places if you are careful. Watch out for the discarded needles, of course. I have a good friend who retired from the Portland Water Works Department. He spent some 30 years cleaning out sewer pipes with high-pressure hoses and large truck-mounted sump pumps. The choice job was to be in back of the dump truck where all the refuse/rocks/sand would end up: spreading the debris evenly. Had to be quick! His best day he recovered 12 gold/diamond rings and quite a few silver coins (he never has told me exactly how many). Quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies: all pretty commonplace.

There's an old adage: Treasure is where you find it. It might be under your feet, or under your nose. But if you don't recognize it as being valuable, you'll never be able to "cache in" on it.<G>

Iceman-NYS

Greenie
May 5, 2009
Northern NYS
Detector(s) used
White's MXT / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Nato

I'm not to far from you, just South of ya. I have been doing some research on tecting sites near Lake Ontario myself. Drop into the chat some nite sometimes there is other upstate ppl in it.

OP
OP
NatorMVP

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
I don't dive, but I know an issue with going into the water in the lake would be the border. The US/Canadian border goes right through the lake and it would stink to cross the border and not know it.

There are a ton of smaller rivers and streams off the lake though and that might be a good place to look. If nothing else there is a ton of fishing done on the rivers so that might net some change or jewelry at least.

Having access to the training areas on the base might provide some interesting stuff like old brass casings and other lost items from training, oh well should be fun once it warms up.

Iceman: Cool thanks for the tip, maybe if we can collaborate some tips and do some hunting together. I'll be on the lookout for more NY Hunters

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
NatorMVP

4342564 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 4342564 (2).jpg
    4342564 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
NatorMVP

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
TY for the welcome Diggin and RiverRat. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of finds soon ;D

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in a cool area (although it may not seem great at the moment).

Count yourself blessed.

Good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread