What's new

New treasure hunter

NatorMVP

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Hi everyone, just got my first real metal detector for Xmas this year and I'm so excited to head out and start hunting. I'm from the Watertown, NY area, right up near Lake Ontario. Just wondering if anybody has any tips on regulations about the area or a good place to maybe go and get my feet wet.

I've played around in my yard with the detector and pulled up a few coins already so I'm getting a feel for how everything works.

This site seems like a great place to get info and share with so hopefully, with some luck, I'll be posting something great in the future. Thanks all for any information!
 
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the link. I wonder if the military base I'm at even has rules about detecting, but I'm sure I can find out some info.
 
Nator, I am Army too (here at Fort Sill) and they get a little touchy about detecting. Of course, Sill is one of the oldest bases west of the Mississippi, and there are artifacts to be found here. I suggest you call the Provost Marshall's office and check first if you are going to be digging. Otherwise, hit the tot lots. There is plenty of clad, jewelry, and other interesting things to find. I got a free 2GB iPod out of one tot lot!
 
welcome to the best hobby in the world! I have been hunting for almost 20 yrs now... and can tell you that it is a fever that once caught can never be gotten rid of. You will be out in snow, rain, cold, heat, darkness and bug infested areas all to recalim just one cent.... its fun.. rewarding... healthy and yes even frustrating... but you will always keep at it cause the next big find is waiting.
 
Just looking at all the posts and reading what everybody is doing has me chomping at the bit to get out there and search, I've been out in the woods a few times but the ground is so frozen and snow covered I haven't had much luck.
 
A good place to get the feel for it is where your comunity piles plowed snow. You are not likely to find any relics but you may find some coins or rings or the like.
 
Thanks dogpound, I'm hoping to go out into the snow tomorrow and try to find some stuff. Did some test runs today with known objects to figure out settings and tones so here's hoping to some luck and not too much frozen ground.
 
Thanks just reading the threads is making me chomping at the bit to get out there and start detecting. The forum is amazing if I can find even one coin like some posted here it would blow me away. :thumbsup:
 
My best two finds so far have been a Buffalo nickel and a subway token from New York that I found in parks in Dallas.

Once you start finding a few things, you get hooked!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom