Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you do not have a test garden?
Make one!

Play around with different programs and settings especially reactivity and audio response and find one that works well with your testing (basic one is really great) you can just customize it with your preferred tones. Once you've found a program that finds what your looking for, stick with it as changing settings and programs before getting to know "one" will confuse you and cause frustration.

If you do not have Andy's Deus book?
Get one!

OP
OP
lil_eric30

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Andy's book should be arriving in the mail today hopefully. Heard is book is well worth the money so i ordered one from him as soon as i ordered the deus. I do have a test garden in the back yard which i think I'm going to upgrade for something to do including some nails and stuff closer to some coins. Thanks for the information.

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Like with most other MDs the more time you spend using it, the better you'll be with it.

Have fun

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is a great machine !!! It's light, really fast, great in iron and fairly deep. I liked the V3 update with the full tones. I did not use the normalization though because I liked comparing targets with multiple frequencies. If you hunt a lot of older parks you are gonna find that the Deus loves old rusted bottlecaps. The best way for me to avoid them was to hunt in 12Khz and set up an identical 4Khz program in the next slot. When you get a good dime or quarter tone in 12Khz you can quickly switch over to the 4Khz progarm and verify the signal. If the 12Khz VDI # stays the same or gets higher in 4Khz then you can bet that it is a bottlecap or other rusty trash. I tested this many times before I put my complete trust in it but I never had it fail. Another thing you need to know about the Deus is that the visual ID is not reliable at depth. If you use tone ID as your 1st priority over the Visual ID# then you will find more deep targets then with the VDI as your 1st priority. The Deus is a deep detector and it is a joy to swing all day compared to many heavier detectors. It will perform better in trash than any detector you have used. Congratulations on your purchase!!!

OP
OP
lil_eric30

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Thank u for the great information! I was playing around today and getting use to the settings. I love the easy setup option on the deus! Pretty simple to use. Nothing overboard like on other detectors I have used in the past. Keep the info coming in someone can assist.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Pescadore is spot on on the bottle caps. First time or two out they drove me nuts, but once I created adjacent programs in 12khz and 4khz as well as set up my own 4 & 5 tone patterns they are mostly a thing of the past. The wireless system makes it easy to set the coil up in the garage with a box of bottle caps, pop tops, can slaw etc... while holding the remote unit in your hand like a calculator and using the other hand to swing trash over the coil. After I spent an hour or so working with all the trash I was able to tweak my setting to resolve most of them.

Then I went out into my yard where I have the angled PVC tube type system where I am able to lower a coin in 1/4" increments, this allowed me to tweak my reactivity and sensitivity settings to my liking. After completing these two tasks, I was ready to hit the parks.

HH
Enjoy your Deus
Robert

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Play with the reactivity. The lower you set it the more depth it will give you. Of course it will slow the speed down though. Even at a setting of 1 its still faster that 90% of detectors out there.

Any other questions holler! We offer free lifetime support with tip and tricks for machines we sell. ;) Great purchase!

OP
OP
lil_eric30

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Thnx Bart for the information! Thnx again for the quick shipping and service I got from you for my deus!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thnx Bart for the information! Thnx again for the quick shipping and service I got from you for my deus!

Very welcome! Glad to take care of a fellow tnet member!

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Bart said reactivity is a major player in depth but the silencer also effects depth just about as much as reactivity. Low Reactivity + lower silencer =depth. Still in the testing stages but apears right now that those two things have a much more dramatic effect on depth than high disc. Does. More testing is needed.

Have fun---the Deus is proving to be quite a machine as far as I am concerned.

msviking

Feb 13, 2013
Flowood, Mississippi & Orange Beach, AL
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Minelab CTX3030
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Other
Another bottle cap tip, bottle caps will often fall in the same VDIs of coins and on first blush sound nearly identical. I have noticed coins have what I call a "sweet" sound, same frequency but a smooth trail off as you swing the coil over the coin. Bottle caps on the other hand tend to pop or chop off as you swing much more of an abrupt end to the tone. It's a subtle difference but if you listen for it you will here it. In areas not littered with bottle caps, dig them all, but in some areas I dig I would be digging all day if I dug bottle caps.

Good luck & HH
Robert

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Bart said reactivity is a major player in depth but the silencer also effects depth just about as much as reactivity. Low Reactivity + lower silencer =depth. Still in the testing stages but apears right now that those two things have a much more dramatic effect on depth than high disc. Does. More testing is needed.

Have fun---the Deus is proving to be quite a machine as far as I am concerned.

Yes Sir! Good post.

The info we give our customers we go over all those settings. Just a tweak here and there and BAM! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions