New York Militia button, flying eagle, large cent,token and more.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well had my first hunt in US with a great host Ken ''Z.K.'' from Vermont. Really enjoyed my week end stay and spent a great time in the awesome company learning the history of the region from the person who obviously enjoys history and relics hunting as much as I do, if not more.
Got a few interesting finds that I have very little chance to find in Canada.

My best would be the New York Militia button. Was really happy with the state I found it in.

20170716_234257[1312].jpg

An other interesting find is 1835 US large cent also in a decent shape. It's funny but most of the Halfpenny tokens I find in Canada are dated 1835 so I guess it follows me in US

DSC_1669.JPG
DSC_1664.JPG

A few Indian heads, a flying eagle cent in so so shape(seems like they are rarer, I had no idea)

DSC_1677.JPG

An interesting token from L.M. Cotton that seems to promote their trailers equipped with '' Hassler shock's''.
Hassler shock's I believe were also installed on the Ford's Model T which I find cool.

DSC_1674.JPG
DSC_1675.JPG
23995415969_e31d121c50_b.jpg

A nice gold guilt flat button.

DSC_1683.JPG

Also a dozen or so beautiful decorative large and small 19th century buttons and a large brass buckle (unfortunately no pics).

Awesome time spent South of the border (Canadian border that is :laughing7:) Really enjoyed the company and the hunts!

Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. It's the year of the Flying Eagle apparently. Ahab and I also found our first FE's within the last month. Not to take away from the excellent NY militia button which is a great find. Nice largie to boot. I'm glad to hear you had a great time with ZK. He's a friend of a good friend, and I hear he's a super guy. You're always welcome in Jersey.

Steve

Thank you. Wasn't expecting to pull a rarer type cent on a short hunt. And thank you, for the invite.

Yes, I confirm, Ken is a great guy.

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That button is awesome!!!! Congrats on some great finds!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer button man :occasion14:. I'm also impressed you got a FE cent... that's a tougher coin to come by in The States. Sounds like you guys had a great time and you couldn't ask for a nicer host

Thank you. Was lucky with FE, no other explanation possible. As Ken mentioned pulled it within the first 5 hours or so of hunting in US.
Yes, had a great time in Vermont, great State with great people.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish a flying eagle would land in my neck of the woods, LOL Thanks for the great post looks like you had fun. Great finds!!!!!

Thank you. I think that flying eagle was stalking me at the border lol. As soon as it had a chance, landed right under my coil!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was sure that you'd hunt down something interesting if it was there...but to pull a flying eagle out in under 5 hours of detecting in the US? C'mon! So happy you came away with a solid trifecta of button, coin, buckle, and then some. Nice work on the restoration, too; I still have a lot to learn in that department.

Good times in beautiful places with people that share the passion and ethics of the hobby is a great thing. Glad you came.

I won't be able to post till the weekend due to some deadlines I have to meet, but I'll include the finds you didn't. I'll also explain why I now have to get a Deus...8-)

Thanks again. Had a great time! And thanks for the pics of the finds I left in Vermont.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The finds are way cool but, getting together with another member in this community and sharing our passion for recovering history is awesome. Thanks for sharing and congrats on hauling some US booty home with you.:icon_thumleft:

Thank you. I agree, sharing the passion for history is a great bonus.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm always amazed when anybody finds a Flying Eagle cent - they effectively made these for TWO years ( the 1856 is virtually a pattern coin in terms of rarity ).

Yes. I'm very surprised to have found one.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy smokes, we don't know which find we like better--they all are incredible and in nice shape. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Thank you Lisa & John

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey man, that looks like a great day diggin to me! Congrats on all the good stuff! Can you tell us a little bit about how you cleaned the largie and the button? They look great

Thank you.
The LC was found under the rocks in the stream, so no cleaning was necessary. As for a button, a short hydrogen peroxide bath removed all the dirt, than a wooden tooth pick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions