newb finally ordered ace250...

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
Hello all!

So after reading the treasurenet forum for like 6 months i've finally manned-up and bought an ace 250...

I 'almost' bought a Viper Trident which can also be used underwater b/c i have 1 spot i think would be VERY good but is 4-5' deep.... Problem was as a land detector it looked very limited compared to the ace 250. Maybe the lake will lower and i can hop in with my 250 lol.... doubt it after this huge snowfall so far this year.

I'm up in the McHenry area but also frequent my old stomping ground of Hickory/Palos

Crazy thing is.. i'm 3 years too late on this interest and purchase.... for a while i was renting out an 1800s farmhouse with my buddies AND the prior owner(60's) told us his father had money hidden there that he told them of... that they never found. Right before they moved out they broke the drywall in a couple of the closets............ At the time i didn't even know of this hobby and never thought about it again. Since then, the house has been demolished and a mansion built in it's place :( Only possible good angle to this is i know the owner and i 'might' be able to talk him into letting me hunt his land (not sure though b/c it's heavily/expensively landscaped.

Looking forward to spring and can hopefully meet up with you guys for a couple of hunts

-Brian

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Welcome aboard and good hunting! I've seen the "beer can on a stick" in action that you mentioned. I would think it's best application would be in the water as I believe it will be totally outclassed even by the "lowly" Ace 250 on land. You're in luck! A lot of the guys around here started out with the Ace and demonstrated awesome recoveries with it.

Several good md'ers from TNet in the McHenry Zone including my runawway hunt buddy Mikelb, who's hangin' his considerable crack off the back of sled most likely right now. Watch for that sidewalk work up there.

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Hi lowbatts,

that beer can on a stick (LOL) .. might be just the ticket for what i had in mind though

speaking of sidewalk work.. about 3 months ago they tore up the shoulders on rt 31 at a major intersection that i know is very very old... again... too late

this area seems to have a lot of history to it... hopefully that will turn into some good finds.

after doing some more research i have to learn to ask farmers if i can hunt their fields...etc

hopefully will see you around come spring!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
RDB7,

Congratulations on the Ace 250 purchase! I have heard a lot of negative things about the Viper Trident. Come to think of it, I've never even seen one, or saw one for sale anywhere. I'm sure they're around, but not many use it. The Ace 250 is more than just a "beginner's machine", it's a great deal for only two bills and with determination and patience on your part, will find the good stuff. I used mine for two and a half years before I upgraded, and I refuse to get rid of it because it's a great back up and tot lot detector.

Whenever you're in the zone and want to head up this way (north side Chi), let us know! You're more than welcome anytime we head out. Good luck.

Joe

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Joe,

sounds good! i plan on getting around with the md as i bought my girlfriends son (9) one as well with the kellyco buy one get one 1/2 off sale.....

it's funny... i've been saying, "that would be a good spot to detect" for about 3 months now when we drive by certain places.... just recently we were driving and he said the same thing ... it was hilarious... i've created a mini-me lol

i'm sure there will be a whole lot of hunting once the nice weather arrives

-Brian

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your ace250...Purchase

Welcome to the hobby of Detectin'. Only hobby (Besides Shootin' Pool)that I ever made any money at.
If you are lookin' for a good pinpointer,[and you will]..
SunRay makes one that attaches to your Ace.Most of us Minelab Detectorist use the SunRay.It's not cheap,but its good,and you can't loose it LOL.
Merry Christmas

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're doomed welcome to the "club" ;D

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Welcome to the club!

You didn't go wrong buying that Ace as I'm sure you'll hear from just about everyone that replies to this post.
You've got all Winter now to get your ducks in a row for the Spring. It's a good time to do your research, get permission, etc...

See you in the Spring!
Mike

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new Ace!!!! I have found a lot of great stuff with mine!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread