Newbie cleaning question (face value coins)

dpdelcollo

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2010
Antelope CA (Sacramento)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350
I am new to detecting and have read article after article on how to or not to clean valuable coins. So far I haven't found anything I suspect to be valuable, just plain old face value coins. I plan on just feeding them into the coinstar machine someday, but the problem is that some of them are so crusted that my soaking in soapy water isn't doing anything to de-crud them enough so that they can cashed in.

What is a method I can use to get these coins to a cash-able state? Thanks.

I am sure this has been covered in an earlier post, or maybe is just common knowledge among veterans. I tried searching and waded through probably 20 posts that never addressed plain old face value coins. Thanks.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually don't clean my clad very much. When I do I usually use Worchester sauce for the quarters and dimes. Crusted pennies to me are beyond help and I just wash the dirt off. There are some posts on here that give some good detail on how to clean coins. Buckleboy's post on cleaning methods are what I use the most as I mainly hunt older coins and civil war relics.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a rock tumbler on recent clad that i intend on taking to the bank. coins crashing into each other knocks the dirt off, fill tumbler about 1/2 full with dirty coins, put water in to cover up coins, close up and tumble over night, rinse. some seperate pennies, i don't. good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread