What's new

Newbie CRHer 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

keverett

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
513
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

Ok guys, I am new at the prospecting, metal detecting, and CRH'ing hobbies, but have been trying to pick up what I can as I go. I recently purchased 3 boxes of halves from different banks in my area. It seems that even the Brinks boxes are coming full of clad halfs that have a marking on the reverse in Red Sharpie. Obviously this is a competitor, and has gone crazy marking every coin he looks at! I am not exaggerating when I say that atleast 30% of each roll has this red sharpie mark on the back side of the coin. I understand that some people want to track how long it takes for them to come across their old coins, but seriously.........I just started the hobby and don't want to get distracted, but my overall take on the 3 boxes was 1 1968D. I managed to find more in the handrolled rolls that I got from one of the small local banks. I was just wondering if anyone else has come across these marked coins in CA?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

That was an April Fools post, I am dead serious about all the marks. The markings are directly on the center of the eagle on the reverse of the coins.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

Almost every box I search has marked coins, they range from holed, dated, painted,
ground, stamped, stickered, singed, bent, cut, scratched, punched and anodized.
It gets depressing when searching a box and 50% is marked.

I sometimes soak them in acetone which in reality does no good but it makes me feel
better about dumping them.

Get use to it. If you stick with it you will see a lot of it.

Welcome to the addiction and may your next box be filled with silver.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

I had a thread over a year ago where I posted the worst of the worst that I've seen in marking. People do some pretty sad things to the halves, but you need to put it in perspective. There's nothing you can do about and therefore there is no point in fretting over it.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

I did it, want to punch my red nose? It's so cold...
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

Yeah, with the small amount of silver I'm finding, it's costing me a lot of money to buy those red sharpies!

Only joking, I know this used to be a sore spot with Jeweler Dave.

I see those same red dots here in So Cal, usually in the middle of the eagles head or right in the top of the bell tower so it's all different dates.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

Don't get me started!
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

dandow20 said:
I did it, want to punch my red nose? It's so cold...


I don't know if thats your photo or someone elses but it kinda Gives me the creeps.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

OmegaMan said:
Almost every box I search has marked coins, they range from holed, dated, painted,
ground, stamped, stickered, singed, bent, cut, scratched, punched and anodized.
It gets depressing when searching a box and 50% is marked.

I think there has only been 1 box I've searched that Didn't have marked coins and it was a solid date box, don't recall the date but they were all pretty heavily circulated, I chalked it up to an oddity. I was thinking about collecting pictures of the different types of markings i see and posting them but then realized there is no point to waste the extra time as it would only promote more people marking them.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

i get marked coins all the time, can't imagine why someone would waste time marking coins, but go ahead and mark all you like because the time one spends marking is less time one spends hunting.......need all the help i can get around here :wink:
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

They were in NorCal about 6 months ago. If I remember right the ones I found were picked up from Brinks but dumped into another service.

HH
65GT350
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

see.....gets annoying doesn't it? and everyone who marks coins has an excuse like "i only mark slicks" or "only 1 per box". little do they know they add up to thousands and thousands of marked coins.
liike Piecesdad said..."DON"T GET ME STARTED"
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

Well I think I'm gonna dump the 3 boxes today and try again sometime this week. Do you guys prefer the bags or brinks boxes????
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

keverett said:
Well I think I'm gonna dump the 3 boxes today and try again sometime this week. Do you guys prefer the bags or brinks boxes????

Get em Both! - The more coins you search the better chance of silver.
Since I haven't really tried too hard to get bags I mostly get the boxes, though i have gotten a couple of bags from the counting machine. I must say that it is kinda nice not having to open rolls and like a treasure hunt to see what else may have fallen into the bag (Last time I got a few dollar coins and a couple canada toonies!) BUT opening the rolls is kind of like a part of the treasure hunting for me as well... Thats why I say both.
 
Re: Newbie CRH'er 3 brinks boxes.....markiing in red sharpie!!

coinmojo said:
dandow20 said:
I did it, want to punch my red nose? It's so cold...


I don't know if thats your photo or someone elses but it kinda Gives me the creeps.

I agree.....my avatar is a walking skeleton, but dandow20's avatar creeps me out......no offense meant.
- Grizz
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom