What's new

Newbie needs help

1996

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
275
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Have a nice day,
: )
1996
 
I was in the same shoes a couple of years ago when I moved to New Mexico. There is no best answer. Forget the computer for now and get out and start driving around. Look for old foundations. Falling down, deserted homesteads. Most importantly, ask around. Don't forget to smile. Good luck.
 
Do you want me to come swing your detector and dig everything for you as well?
 
Most of us here do our own research, knock on doors for permission, and don't ask others to give us a "leg up" to find the good stuff.
I suggest that you work parks and fairgrounds to get familiar with your new machine. Do research at night and once you find a house...etc...you would like to hunt, seek permission. Good luck.
 
Pepper gave good advice. First learn what your detector is telling you by visiting parks, schools etc. Learn how to retreive a coin out of your own lawn without having to dig a hole by using a screwdriver first. Never use a shovel at anyones lawn. Ask around of your neighbors if you could detect their property. Experience is what you need first. Order the book by Charles Garrett called, Sucessful Coin Hunting. It will give you ideas where to detect that you might never have thought of detecting yourself.

If someone is nice enough to take you to one of their favorite spots, don't be a pig and hunt it without them unless you ask first.

Good Luck and have fun.
Sandman
 
I don't have the time to sit and actually read everything, but I did find several things online that might help you.

http://www.arkansas.com/city-listings/city_detail.aspx?city=hamburg
http://books.google.com/books?id=6h...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPP1,M1
http://www.ashleycountyledger.com/articles/2004/06/22/history/aai7.txt
http://www.ashleycountyledger.com/history/

Go through and read and see what you can find out your town/city. I did try several maps sites that I use, but couldn't find no maps for you area.

Google books, I LOVE that site! I have done alot of my research on my area through reading books there. It's free and I can open the book anytime I am on my computer and read.

Also, try your local library for any history they might have on Hamburg.

Good luck,
Sue
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom