Newby find thanks to this website

ckleisch

Jan 1, 2006
? This is my first real posting to this site. I have? been reading the site periodicaly but only after a gift for x-mas did i get into the spirit. I received a used radio Shack unit? from the kids to try out the spirit of the hobby or lifestyle as you will. We took the kids out and tryed the unit really without success other than bolts, pencils, metal foil etc. Before, giving up i read here the research done by others to find things. So I did the same and came up with two locations to try out. A abandoned fairgrounds and a newly exposed old wharf after a Texaco and parking lot was torn down. this is what we found and now I am off to buy a Whites unit when taxes come back. Wefound a :
? ? ? ? ?1878 Half Dollar
? ? ? ? ?1843 Penny
? ? ? ? ?1906, 1880, 1900 1899, 1864,1882 Indian Head Pennies
? ? ? ? ?1894, 1904 Nickel

Are these worth anything and is this normal for findings?

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I would say, it's definitely above avarage, great job on the research, and Great finds...
From the looks of what you found I'm sure there's more waiting for you there...
Good luck next time out, Welcome to the forum, and the hobby, & Happy hunting~

R

rvbvetter

Sure it's normal. I dig up coins like that all the time.

IN MY DREAMS!!!!

Great finds!!! I hope it's not a big let down, next time you go detecting. Those finds might be hard to top for a while. WTG!!! HH

Whitewings

Nov 23, 2005
I am a newbie also, I would give anything to make finds like that. We have no structures here over a hundred years old.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck. Tsgman

OP
OP
C

ckleisch

Jan 1, 2006
Thank you to all that responded. i obtained the half at a old wharf site with the coin lodged between two cypress posts. A gentlemen inquired if the coin had a S mint mark. Here is the rear of the coin. Inoticed no mint mark. There is a small indentation at the top of the coin like it was struck by something. Tomorrow as it is supposed to be 70 here i will drive over to the Outer banks and try my luck again.

Attachments

• Save0001_rs.jpg
    Save0001_rs.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 317

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ckleisch said:
? Thank you to all that responded. i obtained the half at a old wharf site with the coin lodged between two cypress posts. A gentlemen inquired if the coin had a S mint mark. Here is the rear of the coin. Inoticed no mint mark. There is a small indentation at the top of the coin like it was struck by something. Tomorrow as it is supposed to be 70 here i will drive over to the Outer banks and try my luck again.

Can you get a close-up picture. The mint mark should be below the eagle if there is one.

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Yes welcome to the forum. Now go back to finding nuts and bolts. Your making some of us old timers look bad :D. Just kidding. Congrats on your GREAT finds. I'm headed for Fort Knox to see if I can compete with you. :D

Ken

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yep, look under the eagle for an S or CC, if it has a CC its at least 300 bucks, if S then its like 12,000.

redeemed

Jul 8, 2005
Thomaston, Upson County GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher Coinstrike, Vibraprobe 560
I've been THing since August and my oldest and best finds are two wheats 1918 and 1930. Way to go. I think I'm going to do a little more research!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Those are some remarkable finds! They are quite normal though....in my dreams!

Hey, welcome to the forum and again, congratulations on the truly GREAT finds!

Attachments

• band.gif
    band.gif
    25.4 KB · Views: 178

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I wish I had found good stuff like that with my first detector! It was also a Radio Shack. HH Ruck

R

rb

WOW it is always great to find silver and thoses indian head pennys are fun to find also... Keep up the exalent postings... RB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread