Newby find thanks to this website

ckleisch

Jan 1, 2006
? This is my first real posting to this site. I have? been reading the site periodicaly but only after a gift for x-mas did i get into the spirit. I received a used radio Shack unit? from the kids to try out the spirit of the hobby or lifestyle as you will. We took the kids out and tryed the unit really without success other than bolts, pencils, metal foil etc. Before, giving up i read here the research done by others to find things. So I did the same and came up with two locations to try out. A abandoned fairgrounds and a newly exposed old wharf after a Texaco and parking lot was torn down. this is what we found and now I am off to buy a Whites unit when taxes come back. Wefound a :
? ? ? ? ?1878 Half Dollar
? ? ? ? ?1843 Penny
? ? ? ? ?1906, 1880, 1900 1899, 1864,1882 Indian Head Pennies
? ? ? ? ?1894, 1904 Nickel

Are these worth anything and is this normal for findings?

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
No, so just send them on to me ;D

Just kidding.. Great Job!! and great research. That is what it is all about!!

Dave

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Dont know about anybody else but I would give my left n...uh arm to find the seated half, much less to find an area where those finds would be, good job!!! -Underwood

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Really nice coins...its looks like you have great sites...imagine what you'll find with the Whites detector...also, while you are at it you should get a WHites Bullseye pinpointer; it really make it a lot easier pinpointing your target. ?I bought a Whites DFX in November and they were running an add for a free pinpointer, ear phones and detector bag with the purchase of a detector. ?Here is the website check it out ?www.whiteselectronics.com ?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you did good ! Think about when you get a higher end detector!. ;)

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Those are fantastic finds! Congratulations!. Way to go! Good job! Keep it up! Etc. etc. ;D
And I would say in this day and age that those finds are not normal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Read the treasure magazines for mor information on how to and where to. Great hobby and I have been doing it since the 70's.

Sandman

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I was gonna say that, LOL! Yeah, those finds are not normal, especially for your first time out! Way to go! Just goes to show that the key is research, and you don't have to be an avid hunter for 20 years to make great finds....

Just don't get TOO spoiled after this site is hunted well, and the finds start to shrink. Sometimes the times can be frustrating.... thats where this forum comes in, enough people to post their finds and give you encouragement to get out there and go at it again!

Again, terrific job! ?;D

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Definetly not an average days finds for most of us :o The 1878 dollar is worth at least 18 bucks in really bad condition, so yours should get alot more. Check for mintmarks on the half, it could be worth thousands if it has one. the 1843 large cent is around 15 bucks, the 1906, 1900,1899, IH is around 1.75. the 1880 and 1882 are around 4 bucks each, the 1864 is worth 7$ and up witout the L initial, and 55$ and up with the L initial. Nice finds ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Ok Ok You Passed the First part of the Test. Now All you have to do is go out and Find a $ 20.00 Gold Coin & A Confederate Belt Plate and You Will Be One of US. ::) ::) How I Wished That was True!!! Welcome To the Forum, You Have Done Just Great. trk5capt...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that is OUTSTANDING!!! :o. apparently you are very good at research. that (as you seem to have found out) is the key to getting the old stuff! you have found a couple of extraordinary spots. as several others have said, don't be discouraged when all the places you hunt don't produce like this. they cant all be winners. if i were you i would go back and slow down. if you feel like you are crawling along slow down some more!! overlap your swings and try to cover every inch of ground. also dig those iffy signals.sometimes they are the good stuff! ill bet there is a lot more there waiting for you. extremely well done!!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all, ck, welcome to the forum.

Second, you might as well quit now, because I don't think you'll ever top that. ;)

No, please don't quit. It sounds like you have good luck and good research on your side. Thanks for posting.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's an incredible start. My hat is off to you.

1. Get yourself a better detector now that you have demonstrated you know how to swing a MD.

2. Keep hitting that site. You are sure to keep making amazing finds.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are great find's,Keep em' comin'.Never did much research myself until now.Going out this weekend with jimmy5503 to a site he has access to,hopefully it pays out.It can only get better.Good luck in the future and welcome.Congrat's and HH!!...

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree on this not being normal. You are talking about 20 years of searching of course. What is wrong with the detector with finds like this? :o :o :o

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job! Who says you can't find the good stuff with a "cheaper detector"? Keep up the research but watch out, it gets addictive. Warrior

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread