Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
NGE's Sand Dredge

Well, here goes nothing. I think I may be able to load the pics this time. The only modification I made to my sifter is that the forks had a tendancy to bend and get all gnarled when ya made dredge dig deeply, so I used piece of strap steel with slots cut on edge........ Good Luck......Not GE

Attachments

• sand dredge plans 001.jpg
    sand dredge plans 001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 603
  • sand dredge plans 002.jpg
    sand dredge plans 002.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 610
  • sand dredge plans 003.jpg
    sand dredge plans 003.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 618
  • sand dredge plans 004.jpg
    sand dredge plans 004.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 609
  • sand dredge plans 005.jpg
    sand dredge plans 005.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 593
  • sand dredge plans 006.jpg
    sand dredge plans 006.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 590
  • sand dredge plans 007.jpg
    sand dredge plans 007.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 578
  • sand dredge plans 008.jpg
    sand dredge plans 008.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 582
  • sand dredge plans 009.jpg
    sand dredge plans 009.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 572

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NGE's Sand Dredge

We used to use these "beach carts" back in the 60s. Worked great to clear the trash from around the fire rings to find the real goodies hiding under the tons of nails & tabs. The lifeguards were always curious enough to see if we were making a mess, but when they saw all the trash we were depositing in the trash they pretty well gave us carte blanche.

One thing that helps a lot is to braze an axle & two lawn mower wheels on the back of the frame. Makes it real easy to get from the car to the beach. Out of the four I made I liked the one I made using an old gas lawnmower handle. This allowed me to fold the handle down & it'd fit in a car trunk. Leaving me the option of taking the truck or car. The wheels allow you to control the depth lots better, and you can lift the front up give it a shake then roll everything to the back & keep on going.

For the dry sand areas you don't really need the teeth. Don't expect to do large areas in the surf unless you have calves & biceps the size of an elephant! :D In wet sand they'll take it out of you in a hurry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread