Nickel and Dimed !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Nickel and Dimed! That’s what I was today. I’ve often heard that phrase but never in the context of pursuing a hobby. Of course being “Nickel and Dimed” while metal detecting is a perfectly acceptable thing to have happen to someone who’s doing the detecting. And boy! Did I EVER get nickel and dimed today!
We get out and detect when we are able to, we enterprising enthusiasts of this particular pastime. Between bouts of bad weather, day to day errands, work and other demands of our time, we manage to sneak in a little swing time when we are able. Of course it’s never long enough, even if we have an entire day to spend poking around the parks and playgrounds and other places we go to seek treasures that we just KNOW are waiting to be discovered. Be that as it may, we still we endeavor to uncover those precious possessions that some other poor soul has lost some time long or recent in the past. We marvel at the rediscovery and revel in the recovery of these items. Large and small, precious and trash we dig them all. How did they get here? Where did they come from? Who lost it? Uh, what is it? Some questions can only be answered by our imaginations. Some questions are answered by research or help from friends with similar interests. But despite the questions, answered or not, or perhaps because of them, we continue to search for all that is lost. Some to be treasured anew by the likes of me and you, some things to be kicked back into circulation, it’s the thing to do.
And so it was today. A day to be treasured for sure, a day that included treasures searched and found. Time to play, to detect, to reflect, that is a treasure in and of itself to be sure. Waking up this morning, I was pleasantly surprised that it was not raining as was predicted by our local weatherman last night. In fact, the sun was shining, as it rose over the morning horizon. After making breakfast for my wife and myself and reading the paper, I decided that I had no other more pressing calls on my time today, so I set off to play. Grabbing my gloves and my detecting gear, I mounted up in my little white truck and headed off to see what I could find. My first stop of the day was to a fairly new playground at an older park downtown. This is not a park I would normally go to any other time of day but in the morning or when it was cold or otherwise inclement weather. I kind of stick out like a sore thumb so to speak. But with all the kids in school and it being early in the day, and the park deserted I figured I’d have a look.

New TotLot.JPG

There were the usually expected finds here as with anywhere else you might find a tot lot or playground. Pull tabs, can slaw, rivets, shoe eyelets, screws, buttons, plastic toys.

Usual Stuff.JPG

I also found some not so usual finds as well. Beer bottle caps, electrical connectors, fencing bits, spent bullets, UNFIRED BULLETS. Well, One Un-fired bullet anyway. Nine millimeter it was. In the woodchips!

Not So Usual.JPG

Bullet comp.jpg

And it’s any wonder why I wouldn’t normally frequent this part of town or this park to detect? Even it was something some kid pilfered from dad’s sock drawer for a playground show and tell, it is not an item you expect to uncover at a playground. Kind of makes me feel like a foreigner in my own town. But the day was still young, so I moved on to another park after sweeping up a hefty load of clad from this bullet ridden playground.
Sorry, no pictures of the next park, or the ball field that I detected after that one. Small parks don’t usually require a long time to detect the playgrounds, but you find the oddest things sometimes. One oddity today was a plumbing fixture, or rather a fitting. A fitting that I’m quite familiar with as I use them myself in my own line of work from time to time, so it was odd to find one in the woodchips. A compression fitting hose nipple. No, really, that’s what they are called.

Compression Fitting.JPG

Other oddities aren’t always so easily identified however. I found this one at another park downtown that was built on a rehabilitated site that was formerly some very old run down row houses. I’m not entirely sure what it was or is, but my imagination leads me to think drawer pull (knob). It’s definitely got a load of copper in it’s make up but some other metal mixed in as well. While it somewhat resembles a disk now, it appears to have been hollow, perhaps bell shaped at one time.

Whatzit  Comp.jpg

Another whatzit for the day was this little bit of bling. It would appear to be some sort of metal inlay from something or other. What I don’t know. It appears to be cut metal in with a sort of cross on either end of the half ring shape. Maybe someone out there has seem something similar.

Cross.JPG

Not so odd to find “Bling” at the playgrounds of course. There’s always cheap costume jewelry, junk (bubble gum machine) rings, stuff like that. It’s still kind of neat to find though.

Blingcomp.jpg

More oddities, though not always so rare are a few foreign coins found while detecting. Today I found four. Well, perhaps I only found three, after all The Chucky Cheese Tokens, while rare and eagerly sought after are of domestic origin. These other three however have traveled from abroad to be lost then found here in this small corner of the globe. I found visitors from The Great White North, out Canadian neighbors, and one from the South, way south, Panama!

foreigners Comp.jpg

As the morning faded into the afternoon hours, I found myself at a park with a fairly large baseball complex. There are six different diamonds at this park, the two I found myself searching today are way in the back and don’t get hunted very often. It’s been nearly a year since the last time I was here so I figured I’d do pretty well if I paid attention to what my detector was telling me. And I did. You will find stuff that other people lose if you just pay attention and follow the signs. Signs like well worn paths from concession stands, restrooms, parking areas to the bleachers and viewing areas, assembly areas, the paths that people make and take. That’s where you’re going to find stuff. You just have to read the signs and know what they mean. I saw this sign while detecting around one of the diamonds today. Makes me shudder as to what some people will do to get their kicks.

\'Nuff Said.JPG

Enough said.

It’s sad to think of how some people have to abuse things to get their jollies. I don’t know about the fences in this park, but some of the coins have definitely been abused. Check out this Jefferson Nickel I dug up today.

Abused comp.jpg

One tired old beat up nickel. Just one of many I found today, which kind of sort of brings me back around to the beginning of this post in the first place. Being “Nickel and Dimed”. It’s not unusual to find nickels and dimes when detecting, especially playgrounds parks and tot lots. The woodchips absolutely absorb dimes for some reason. It is unusual, however, to find so many in one day. An average hunt for me might yield 10 to 15 dimes or so, and only a few nickels. Today, even if it was several parks hunted, and total time spent somewhere around four hours hunting, I ended up with fifty two dimes and twenty six nickels ! Of course I found other coins. LOTS of other coins. Twenty seven quarters, and one hundred and twenty eight pennies. That’s not counting the Chucky Cheese token or the three foreign coins. LOTS AND LOTS OF NICKELS AND DIMES !

Clad.JPG

Oh for the good days! They certainly make up for all those not so good days when the weather is less than pleasant or the time taken to hunt is barely long enough to whet your appetite. Days like this make all those other days fade from your memory. Too bad they can’t all be like this one. Oh well. We do what we can, when we can, and try to make the best of it. I hope that you all are making the best of your time, when you get any. Happy Halloween, by the way. And , as always.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like u cleaned up real good :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Frodov, that's a lot of coins. Productive hunt. Great post, as always. Amazing how many stories these objects tell. And a great day to detect.

I like that little heart.

HH,
R.I.

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow what a haul, nice hunt and post... with all that clad the detector will be paid off in no time. Thanks for sharing and nice story..hh

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ricky1601 said:
wow what a haul, nice hunt and post... with all that clad the detector will be paid off in no time. Thanks for sharing and nice story..hh

Actually, I paid off the detector with "found money" six months after I bought it, and that was almost four years ago. <smile> Since then, besides covering gas, batteries and the occasional snack, found money has paid for several hotel stays while vacationing, or at least helped pay for them anyway. You just have to love a hobby that pays you to have fun!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Frodov, I feel like I was on the hunt with you!!! Awesome post - thanks for taking the time out to write it out so well and post all the pics.

If I dug as many targets as you, I'd be sore for a week!

Jim

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds how do you get so much clad? You must have a lot of wasteful coin owners...lol
PS check those chuck e cheese tokens online. Some are worth a bunch. You'll be surprised!

SKD

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
time4me said:
Frodov, I feel like I was on the hunt with you!!! Awesome post - thanks for taking the time out to write it out so well and post all the pics.

If I dug as many targets as you, I'd be sore for a week!

Jim

I get that a lot on here.. I suppose I could be a little more vague in details I give on my outings. Nahhh.. Once a clown, always a clown. <grin>
As for being sore... you don't think I am? <chuckle> My right knee bothered me a bit today, but I'm not so sure it was from all the detecting yesterday. I hyperextended my knee a few weeks ago and it's been slow to mend this time. I was advised by my doctor to exercise it as much as I could stand, and detecting fills the bill nicely. As for doing all that digging. Well... tot lots are kind of neat that way. I mean you don't really dig a lot of woodchips, you may brush them aside or scrape them aside with your digging tool, but not often do you have to dig that much. Too, in the tot lots, amoungst the woodchips you may not have to get up and down from a recovery position with every target. Sometimes they fall pretty close together. I've adopted the habit of "sweeping the hole" after making a recovery, and the area within reach around it while I'm still down on my knees. You'd be amazed at how many other targets pop up very close by to the last target recovered. most coins and finds in the woodchips are , after all, pocket spills, right? And reason would have it that where there's one coin, there are quite likely more close by. so WHY GET UP? <grin> save the wear and tear on the bones and joints. Thank GOD for Knee pads!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
SoreKneesDayton said:
Great finds how do you get so much clad? You must have a lot of wasteful coin owners...lol
PS check those chuck e cheese tokens online. Some are worth a bunch. You'll be surprised!

SKD

I don't know who's loosing all this coin, but I don't mind. In fact, it'd make me happy if they lost more! <grin> As for the Chuck E Cheese Tokens.. I didn't know that there were any worth much more than a mere mention of finding them. Where would I look this information up at? Do tell!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Actually, I paid off the detector with "found money" six months after I bought it, and that was almost four years ago. <smile> Since then, besides covering gas, batteries and the occasional snack, found money has paid for several hotel stays while vacationing, or at least helped pay for them anyway. You just have to love a hobby that pays you to have fun!

YOU SAID IT! :)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
you definetily know how to find the clad !!! :thumbsup:

I have had some luck, to be sure, but I kind of envy all these other detectorists who are finding old coins and cool relics too. I know you got to go where the stuff was lost, and the places I usually detect aren't exactly in that category for the most part. Some day though, you wait and see.. I'll be digging up mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, indian head pennies and the like. <grin> In the mean time however, I'll gladly collect all the clad I can (and will) find.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov said:
SoreKneesDayton said:

SKD

I don't know who's loosing all this coin, but I don't mind. In fact, it'd make me happy if they lost more! <grin> As for the Chuck E Cheese Tokens.. I didn't know that there were any worth much more than a mere mention of finding them. Where would I look this information up at? Do tell!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

I just went online for chuck e. cheese tokens and several hits came up!
SKD

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
SoreKneesDayton said:
Frodov said:
SoreKneesDayton said:

SKD

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

I just went online for chuck e. cheese tokens and several hits came up!
SKD

I'll have to check that out after work tonight. Thanks Knees!

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like the stuff I am digging.

Top Member Reactions