What's new

Nickel Change May Be Coming

tnsharpshooter

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Messages
1,826
Reaction score
1,199
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Nickel could get some what lighter. It could start resding lower ID too. How much lower? Unsure.
This may get it further away from lot of square tabs. But could place it closer to beaver tail. Guess we’ll find out if it happens.
 
When everyone would dig a rotted zincoln penny we called them 'stinkin lincolns' so if this goes through we'll have to come up with a name for them like 'junky jeffersons' or 'janky jeffersons'
 
Yeah, just what we need, another coin that will dissolve like an Alka Seltzer and give us readings all over the board. Just make both the cent and nickel out of stainless steel and be done with it. Better yet, make them out of regular steel so we can ignore them altogether.
 
No offense to Zincolns, Zinkels (zinc nickels) and people who like zinc coinage, but I don't like zinc coinage.

Here's my case.

1. Sends different ID. I dig almost everything but I don't like how Indians and Zincolns sound the same. Zincoln range is 15-22! Im not happy when I get a crisp 20-21 and dig a zincoln.

2. Corrodes. Think about the next generation of metal detectorists. In 100-200 years, the majority of finds will be detiriorated zinc coinage. No one will be able to tell the date. Even with large cents it is a win if the date is legible, with zinc it will just be powder.

3. It infers that the U.S dollar is 'corroding' in value. I don't want to get to deep, like into political opinions. But to me corroding coins is kinda weird.

4. When most non-coin people find zincolns, they think it's a super old coin and I have to go through the pain of explaining to them what it is. This is just a minor annoyance I have, you don't have to agree with this one at all.

5. I don't know if it is because of the change to zinc, but as the years go by more and more coins get minted per year. It is really annoying when I go to an old site and it's just packed with zincolns ( of course this is a part of MDing, just another personal annoyance )

6. If swallowed, stomach acids can dissolve the zinc and cause zinc poisoning.

I hope no one got offended, that was just my opinion:icon_thumleft:
 
"Zinkels".... I like that, not the thought of having zinc nickels, but the name if they become reality.
I like JefferJunk. Zinkels sounds too nice! :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom