What's new

Nickel Set from CRHing possible?

Coin Seeker

Greenie
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Republic of Texas
Just out of curiosity... has anyone out there been able to complte a set of Jefferson Nickels (1938-Now)? :icon_scratch: I've got almost all of them exept for 38d&s, 39d&s, 43s, and the coveted 1950-d. I'd like to complete an entire set just from CRHing but just wondering how possible it is... wonder if I may have to visit my coin shop. I was just wondering if anyone out there has found these coins and been able to complete a set. :icon_study: What's your sense of how many boxes you have to sort through? ???
 
Upvote 0
I don't have a complete set (yet) but i DO have a 1950D. :-) So that hard spot was filled a few months ago. And I have all the silver ones too now. Still missing a few though. 1938, 1938S. 1939D & S, 1955 (I don't know why on this one)

And that's about it for me.
 
Missing a 39D only, and I've been through over 400K nickels. Good luck.
 
Lucky me i got 39D, but i need 11 more...i've been at it for a month

HH
-GC
 
I'm only down 3 as you can see from my signature. I went through quite a few nickel boxes and hand rolls over 2-3 months this summer in order to get there. And 2 or 3 of the harder nickels I traded other nickels for. This isn't totally cheating though, as I traded other hard to get nickels, for example, I pulled 2 rare ones and traded one for a rare I still needed. So I still pulled the same amount of rares... just not the full variety.

So it is definately possible... even if you don't trade and want to pull them all yourself. There are people on this forum who have done MULTIPLE sets from just CRH, and normally try and do like one or two complete sets a year. Some people also keep a solid roll of each pre-60 date.

All depends on how much coin you go through a week/month and how long you are into the hobby.

Good luck with your set!

Same to all of you!

~Dave
 
I've filled 2 complete sets over the past 3-4 years from purely CRH, but I have gone through a lot of nickels to do it. I'm a 1939-D and a 1943-D away from completing the set just in 2008. FYI: 245,000+ nickels searched in 2008 so far and I still have hope of finishing it as I had pulled 3 of each of those dates in 2007.

And although I started collecting back in the 80's, I primarily focused on pennies back then and only did the rest slowly until a few years ago when I started in more seriously. But over the course of my lifetime I there are only a few Jeffersons which I have less than 20 of. I know I bought a 1943-D before I had ever found one and I know I bought a 1938-D because the price was right. But otherwise I have found at least 20 of every nickel in the Jefferson set except:
1938-D (9 but 1 was purchased)
1938-S (2)
1939-D (3)
1939-S (9)
1943-D (6 but 1 was purchased)
1944-D (19)
1944-S (11)
1950-D (2)

And just for completeness sake I also have found 20 of the 65 Buffalo varieties and 8 of the 34 V-Nickel varieties.

And again I would guess that 95% or more of my collection was over the past 4 years or so.
 
I've searched about 370,000 nickels in the past 1 1/2 years and have only the 38D and 43D left to find. I've found multiples of all the other key date nickels. It's possible and I believe slightly easier in certain parts of the country, but it'll take a lot of searching. Best of luck!

-Brian
 
Kestrelia is right and I almost mentioned that. If you are in Washington state, it should actually be easier for you due to your proximity to where S mint coins were minted and circulated more generally. Out on the east coast though, I find a lot of the 1955 nickels, which are evidently much more difficult to find on the west coast. I think I have 12 of them so far. Most definitely very possible.
 
I did a complete set from CRH'ing only in about 6 months.
100% bags of $200 each.
I don't buy the boxes.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom