NJ Copper, CT Copper, Shoe buckle, CW and much more.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Friday off work and was able to clear my schedule and get a few days of hunting in. The forecast was looking rough, with lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's, but with my limited hunting time recently I headed out to make the best of it. On Friday and Saturday I was wearing 2 pairs of pants, 4 long sleeved under shirts, a hoodie, a fleece and a jacket with gloves and hand warmers! Sunday was even colder in the low teens, so I added a 3rd pair of pants to the getup. I was able to hunt from sunrise to sunset with the hardest part being the transition from a warm car, to the freezing outdoors :laughing7:

I had been doing a lot of research lately and was looking forward to seeing if any of it would pan out. I had a rough Friday and Saturday with meager finds for the effort exerted in fridgid temperatures. I had a couple Indian Heads, a few buttons, a rosette and a very nice CW token. But on Sunday (yesterday) I had one of my best hunts ever with a NJ Copper, CT Copper, complete shoe buckle and two saddle shields along with some more buttons.

Here is the 3 day group shot

IMG_20161212_174705404.jpg

This is my first NJ Copper! I had no idea it was a NJ Copper when I dug it. The only thing I could see was a off centered shield. I asked Ahab8 and Scrappy what sort of coin has a off centered shield. After getting home and cleaning it off, Scrappy texted me back and said it was a off struck NJ Copper. I was thrilled. I did some careful cold HP soaks on it to reveal a little more detail before reaching out to Don for a proper ID. I cant thank Don enough for his invaluable knowledge on these coppers. He reached out to a couple others and the final consensus was that its a "1786 Maris 16-L variety, Rarity 2, common, offset". A huge thank you Don :occasion14:

IMG_20161212_173739259.jpg

The NJ as dug before removing any dirt and preservation

IMG_20161211_123937~2.jpg

I got one other very toasted copper from the same site. It looked oblong to me and I could see nothing on it. After some cold HP soaking a little of the crust came off and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Strangely enough, it was another off struck copper and I could see a left facing bust with "CTORI" wrapping around the side.... a CT Copper :headbang: Its not pretty to look at, and the back is totally blank, but its offset strike is very cool. It appears oblong from where the dies smashed only half the panchlet.

IMG_20161212_173855367.jpg

The is my first Civil War token and its pretty freaken awesome. On the obverse it says "THE FLAG OF OUR UNION" and on the reverse it says "IF ANYBODY ATTEMPTS TO TEAR IT DOWN SHOOT HIM ON THE SPOT". It doesn't get much more patriotic than that. Here's a little more information on this token Civil War Flag Tokens

IMG_20161212_173917043.jpg
IMG_20161210_173332~2.jpg

This was a slamming signal with a little grunt and I was expecting it to be a large piece of iron. I pulled a very nice rose head nail out of the plug and the signal cleaned up. This buckle came out about 9 inches deep and I was beyond thrilled. I dig lots of pieces to buckle frames and lots of chapes and tongues, but as most of you know (except Ahab8) complete buckles are hard to come by. This is my second complete one and its by far the best condition of the two. About an hour after I texted this to Scrappy he returns an image of a complete buckle he just pulled out at his site... your welcome Steve. :laughing7:

IMG_20161212_174458074.jpg
IMG_20161212_174513980.jpg
IMG_20161211_125949.jpg

Last year I dug an odd tombac button back to a style button I didnt even know existed. Bill D. (VA) explained that they were the backs to a two piece button with a pewter or iron front and are rarely dug complete. The only other one I've seen dug complete was from DownNDirty earlier this year. Well I pulled this thing out and thought it was a tombac button, with crud on the front. While wiping the mud off, the front popped off perfectly at the seam. It turned out to be one of those hard to find complete colonial 2 piece buttons. Mine has a pewter front with a nice design, a tombac back with a broken iron shank. After cleaning it, I used some elmers to attach the front back on.

IMG_20161212_174138585.jpg

Two piece tombac\pewter button as dug. After sealing the pewter with elmers and drying, I applied a bead of elmers to the rim to glue it back together.

IMG_20161210_180533~2.jpg

This really nice lead rosette turned up as my first target on Friday. After cleaning it it appears to have some gilt in the low relief areas. The two really nice saddle shields turned up at a different site and one still has some silver plating on it.

IMG_20161212_174354206.jpg IMG_20161212_174421590.jpg

This brass piece is really awesome. I was certain I had another copper or another shoe buckle when I heard this thing. It was really deep and after cleaning it still has wood inside it. I am pretty sure this was the handle to a parasol and the wood inside makes it really cool.

IMG_20161212_174607976.jpg

A few of the nicer buttons including a nice eagle GS button.

IMG_20161212_174307838.jpg

I got two crusty IHP's and since I didn't care too much for them, I gave them an overnight cold HP soak. I couldn't believe what I found in the morning. The crust melted away and revealed a nice patina on these cents. Its not a fool proof preservation technique, but it sure worked well on a few of the coins I've dug recently. Thanks again Abe for telling me about this. I had done boiling HP in the past and didn't care for the results as much, but the cold peroxide really works well on those solid coins with crust on them.

IMG_20161212_174056877.jpg

And a few more group shots.

IMG_20161212_174749729.jpg IMG_20161212_174804876.jpg
IMG_20161212_174812326.jpg IMG_20161212_174821093.jpg
IMG_20161212_174829541.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone and hope you all can get some hunting in before the ground finishes freezing... if it already hasn't!

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what you need Brad. Lots of storage too. I bet you could make one if you could find the space ....

View attachment 1391099

I like that one! That's a ton of display space, but I'd never fit it in my relic room... maybe one day. haha

I took some measurements and drew these two designs a couple weeks ago. I may end up building one of those sometime next spring... but I'd have to get rid of some furniture first.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible finds once again Brad can't wait to see what else comes out! I really like the shoe Buckle! I've never seen anyone find two severely off struck coppers in one hunt either. Wow!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I would risk frostbite for those finds any day! A hearty congratulations! The off center strikes on those state coppers just makes them even more of a treasure. And thanks for passing along the cold HP tip. Seems to have done a great job on those indian heads.

Thank you Tommy! I try to detect all winter until the ground freezes and its totally worth it. ha The cold HP works magic as long as the coin under the crust is solid. The NJ was a little spongy and the CT was pretty much gone.... if I soaked those overnight it would probably ruin them. But the CW token and 2 IHPs were solid and the crust wiped right away and leave a beautiful coin.

Fantastic hunt Brad, some great finds in there. Love that off centered NJ. The Civil War token and the shoe buckle are just about perfect. Quite an age differential too. The two piece button is pretty cool. I have at least a dozen backs for those buttons and one front, but I have never found a complete one.

I am a little confused by your post (and I read it twice). Were these finds the result of new research, or were they from the site you have been working for the last year or so? Sounds like they were all surface finds, which leads me to believe your research paid off.

Thanks Steve! I was pretty excited about that 2 piece tombac\pewter. It saved my hunt on Sat. I was thrilled with that NJ and the shoe buckle. It was mostly new research, however I did hit some old backup sites too when all of the research didn't pan out as I had hoped. Most of the targets were pretty deep or mixed with iron.

Congrats on a great bunch of finds very well done

Thanks a ton Art!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a crazy-good hunt Brad with some exceptional finds including all those firsts. It's hard to believe your site keeps producing relics and coin in prodigious numbers. You're going to end up with a major museum in your house from just this one site. WTG man!!!

It's just unreal!

Another stellar hunt B-rad! All of the finds are great but I honestly love the two-piece with the tombac back the best because I have dug enough of those backs to fill a 5 gallon bucket but I have never seen a complete one dug.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just unreal!

Another stellar hunt B-rad! All of the finds are great but I honestly love the two-piece with the tombac back the best because I have dug enough of those backs to fill a 5 gallon bucket but I have never seen a complete one dug.

Thanks a ton man! That button made my hunt on Saturday. It was a rough day of striking out everywhere I went and I remember when I pulled the two piece from the dirt, and broke it in half :laughing7: it made my day. The break couldn't have been more perfect.

Here is the inside of it. It had some grainy rust or oxidation in there. After I cleaned both halves, I sealed the pewter half with watered down elmers. Then after work yesterday, I applied a bead of elmers to the rim and put it back together to take the photos for the post. But it was cool to see the inside of it. The pewter front was actually pretty thick and I believe thats what made it hold up all these years.

IMG_20161210_180533~2.jpg

Now to piss you off.... I have only dug one tombac back before digging this whole one. :laughing7: But I'm sure I will be condemned to a lifetime of tomback button backs from now on. ha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds once again Brad can't wait to see what else comes out! I really like the shoe Buckle! I've never seen anyone find two severely off struck coppers in one hunt either. Wow!

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to it too. When something weird happens, I always think what are the chances... and with two off struck coppers in one hunt, well that cant be high. The only possible thing I can think of is that the home owner maybe held on to oddities that he found in circulation. :dontknow:

Absolutely KILLER finds!

Thanks BuckleBoy! Glad to see you're back around here some more. Hope to see you guys getting out some before it gets too cold down there :occasion14:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
What a hunt! The NJ copper is a great find, congrats on your first. That Fat IH is one of the prettiest I have seen dug. Amazing variety. Nice work.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, what a journey over those days! A bunch of travel followed by two days of cold and unfruitful hunts is enough to keep most hunters inside on day three. But you got yourself out there digging in the frozen woods and scored BIG! That NJ is absolutely killer and I'm glad you finally got your Connectiticut-connecticut copper like you always wanted. I really like those saddle shields as well, but my favorite is that two piece tombac/pewter button. How that survived is beyond me.

Excellent marathon hunt bud

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a hunt! The NJ copper is a great find, congrats on your first. That Fat IH is one of the prettiest I have seen dug. Amazing variety. Nice work.

Thanks a ton Evan! I think the 65 ihp is the year after the fat ones. Funny, I have never dug a fat ihp, but somehow I've gotten my coil over two Flying Eagles :dontknow: I have also never dug a seated silver :dontknow: Those two coins have somehow eluded me but I have dug lots of stuff way earlier and later. ha

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, what a journey over those days! A bunch of travel followed by two days of cold and unfruitful hunts is enough to keep most hunters inside on day three. But you got yourself out there digging in the frozen woods and scored BIG! That NJ is absolutely killer and I'm glad you finally got your Connectiticut-connecticut copper like you always wanted. I really like those saddle shields as well, but my favorite is that two piece tombac/pewter button. How that survived is beyond me.

Excellent marathon hunt bud

Thanks a ton man! That button survived much better in the dirt before I got my muddy paws on it. ha I'm just happy it didn't completely crumble and I was able to put it back together. I have a feeling the front would have fallen off no matter what during cleaning though, but it sure looks great now that its preserved and back together. Glad you were able to follow my journey through the lows and finally highs. I also really like those saddle shields and the rosette. They are my firsts as well and very cool relics to me.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy that was quite a haul. Those off struck coppers are killer coins. 2 state coppers alone is crazy but to find them both off struck has got to be beyond coincidence???? Maybe somebody liked the odd coins as you surmised. Never seen a tombac backed button.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, you really hit the jackpot with the last place, Lots of great finds in my book. I haven't done nearly as much this year as in previous years, but you give me hope to keep looking. Nice post. WTG!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy that was quite a haul. Those off struck coppers are killer coins. 2 state coppers alone is crazy but to find them both off struck has got to be beyond coincidence???? Maybe somebody liked the odd coins as you surmised. Never seen a tombac backed button.

Thanks buddy! It has to be more than a coincidence that both those off struck coppers were at that spot. That button sure is cool... Glenn found a complete one recently that is much nicer http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/522158-pewter-tombac-button-drilled-shank.html His is a cuff sized, and mine is bigger coat sized. With my limited knowledge, Glenn's is the only other complete one I've seen posted.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can say is WOW. What an incredible collection from that site. Kudos on the way you laid out the story, pictures and research. Made for a very interesting read. Congrats!

Thank you HistoryUnearthed! My posts take me a while to put together with all the photo taking\editing\writing. I really appreciate the nice compliment and glad you enjoyed it.

Wow, you really hit the jackpot with the last place, Lots of great finds in my book. I haven't done nearly as much this year as in previous years, but you give me hope to keep looking. Nice post. WTG!

Thank you EasternShoreMetal! It really was a good place and I look forward to returning. Best of luck to you getting out and hunting some more :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks a ton man! That button survived much better in the dirt before I got my muddy paws on it. ha I'm just happy it didn't completely crumble and I was able to put it back together. I have a feeling the front would have fallen off no matter what during cleaning though, but it sure looks great now that its preserved and back together. Glad you were able to follow my journey through the lows and finally highs. I also really like those saddle shields and the rosette. They are my firsts as well and very cool relics to me.

That button would have fared better being in anyone's hands besides Abe's.

I'm glad it went back together so well. Mine looked like a botched abortion after gluing....

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button would have fared better being in anyone's hands besides Abe's.

I'm glad it went back together so well. Mine looked like a botched abortion after gluing....

:laughing7:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal hunt!! Good lord man your cleaning up!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread