chwhale

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari. Garrett pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newbie here. I've looked all over the net trying to figure this out. I have found old items in my front yard while metal detecting. This one is strange.

The detector swears it is silver. I did the ice-cube test on it and it melted quick. It is non magnetic. Without doing an acid test, I'm fairly certain that it is silver. The question now is, what is it?

It weighs about 1/2 an ounce. I've attached some photos. It was about 8 inches down. I live in Kansas. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_8405.JPG IMG_8406.JPG IMG_8407.JPG IMG_8408.JPG IMG_8409.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8405.JPG
    IMG_8405.JPG
    707 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like lead
Or, if its in fact true silver, maybe a rough cast form for a heavy silver ring that was meant to be finished off but lost
The flat edge took me in this direction
IMO
BRady

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue what it is, but your detector probably gives you the high silver like tone simply because it has a hole in it.
And the "ice test" is totally bogus IMO. Hold any piece of metal in your hand till it warms up and ice will melt fast.

Have you scratched it to see what color the base metal is?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your detector doesn't know silver from other non-ferrous metals. It only has parameters that determine through set algorithms that it has the same relative conductivity as a silver quarter or dollar would have when balanced to the surrounding soil (as do many alloys).

And, as Icewing mentions, one of the parameters is the eddy currents a metallic object exhibits. Torids (ring shapes) produce more eddy currents.

No idea what it is. But don't assume silver because your detector says it has a phase 170° to 180° opposed to iron.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chwhale

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the feedback. I'll do a scratch test and report back some pics. I wondered if it were lead. It felt heavy. The cube test was done without me holding it or warming it first. I did it in a saucer after it was at room temp. But since there is a big ring in it, your eddy current info does make sense. I am completely prepared for someone to tell me it is an old bushing off of a tractor or something.

I have noticed that my detector loves to claim it found gold everytime it hits aluminum. Thank again for you guys input and info.

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is an odd shape, interesting.
Lead is soft easily scratch through the dark patina with a pen knife. Silver is much harder. My guess is lead as it
Is 100x more common to find in old farm locations.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the feedback. I'll do a scratch test and report back some pics. I wondered if it were lead. It felt heavy. The cube test was done without me holding it or warming it first. I did it in a saucer after it was at room temp. But since there is a big ring in it, your eddy current info does make sense. I am completely prepared for someone to tell me it is an old bushing off of a tractor or something.

I have noticed that my detector loves to claim it found gold everytime it hits aluminum. Thank again for you guys input and info.

LMAO! Welcome to the life of a treasure hunter.
You've got an excellent machine, in fact its apparently better than mine. You are just going to have to slow down, turn down your sensitivity a bit, and pay attention to what it's telling you. If you haven't read the manual yet, don't go back out till you do. And just remember, there is not a detector on this planet that can filter out all of the trash, and sometimes the best stuff is under the trash. So take it with you and you won't have to dig it again later.

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Safari, most often with a small coil. It's just the way it is. There are times I receive a really good sound, with the higher silver #'s to back it up, but, it's just the Treasure gods having fun with their sense of humor. Gold & aluminum?, each time I dig a pull tab I tell myself, "Well, it COULD have been a gold ring". Stick with it chwhale, it's a numbers game, the more you hunt, the more you dig. The time will happen that when it "screams" Silver, it will be. When that happens, they couldn't slap the smile off your face.

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
looks a homemade ring

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chwhale

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are the best! Thank you for your input. I'm pretty green still to detecting and figuring out everything. I live in town, but half of my town was relocated from another place to where it currently sits. I've found horse shoes in the yard and old tools. I've also found a bajillion nails. That's always fun to dig up.

Sprailroad - It hits high on silver every time I scan the item. I will take a knife to it after while and see if it scratches. I think my safari jumps to conclusions by always telling me the best news first. lol

A friend of mine suggested it was an old square nut. It seems odd that one would be made out of a soft metal. Anyone have any thoughts on that theory?

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nah - I don't see the nut idea, but I did consider
need to get it tested before any of us can give you any intelligent info
speculating on the items metal content will get us no where - IMO
I'm still sticking with the idea of a rough cast of a ring - but it would not be lead IMO

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver wouldn't be soft, probably lead IMO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chwhale

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: I bought an acid test for silver (and other metals). It is NOT silver of any kind. Lead looks like it is the winner.

Still no idea on what it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chwhale

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked out some pics of spindle weights. That's a good hypothesis. Most that I saw were round. This one looks like it has / had right angles to it. Thanks for the guess. It was a good lead to follow.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread