no coins`

johnrielly

Jun 14, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple day ago I stopped at an old farm house, the barn said 1888 on the top. A man who looked to be 200 years old answered the door. I asked him if it would be alright if I md his property. He asked me what I was looking for and I said old coins, jewelery or whatever. Anyway instead of saying no he insisted that their was no old coins in his yard because he never lost anything.... How can I argue with that?

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....That's one really old man!!! :D

Nana ;)

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill take ONE place from 1888 out of FIFTY tries any day.Keep at it .Someone is bound to say yes but the worst they can say is what he said ,"no". HH

T

T-Rex

Did he have all his teeth? If not you could have asked to look for them... :D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It wouldn't hurt to visit him again someday.....or not to be morbid...wait until he kicks the bucket and ask the new owners. If he's really 200, you shouldn't have to wait much longer.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell him that your NOT looking for the coins that he lost, but the ones his great grandfather lost. (That would make them 800 years old. LOL.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Not sure how you started the conversation, but I start by showing interest in the history of their old homeplace and the surrounding area. I try to find out as much history as a can. It builds trust and they let their defences down a bit. After talking for a while I ease into the subject of metal detecting and my hobby, pop the question of looking around with a detector to see what old bits of the past I might find. If they say yes then great, if I think I am getting a no I offer to show them the finds and let them keep whatever they want. I also ask about old picnic grounds, swimming holes and other places people gathered when he was a boy when talking about the history of the area. Has worked great for me so far and it is really what we are interested in and doing.

R

retro-redux

since it's a farm-I wonder if a good answer would be "I'm looking for old metal farm implements"?
Laura

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have said, "OK, If I can find one coin, can I stay awhile and look for more?" If he agreed I would have gone directly to his driveway where I know there is always a coin and showed him one! Perhaps ask him to come along and see how it works. JIM

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
jimmileo said:
I would have said, "OK, If I can find one coin, can I stay awhile and look for more?"? If he agreed I would have gone directly to his driveway where I know there is always a coin and showed him one!? Perhaps ask him to come along and see how it works. JIM
Another thought. You can take a couple of wheaties with you, and pretend to find them. If the owner grabs and pockets them, then you know that you won't be able to keep anything you find, especially if they stay right with you the whole time. Meaning--quick lesson and cheap entry fee. Time then to find greener pastures. JMOPO

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard that line. What he is telling you is that he doesn't want you to search there, but can't think of a good reason why. Another good one is...my son or husband / wife has a metal detector, and has already covered the entire yard. Then, what you can do is ask them "what type of metal detector they have"???? They never can tell you. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread