What's new

No idea what this is. Do you know?

faribo

Full Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
155
Reaction score
295
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
An acquaintance of an acquaintance has this. No one knows what it is. I think maybe some sort of specialty hammer head?

full-43147-31066-81376391_2319506111674322_3718247660247842816_n.webp
full-43147-31068-82536409_2629429877154715_5755520841114714112_n.webp
 
Those cogs look they mated up with something else to form a ratcheting , winding, or grinding mechanism of some sort.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting piece! :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It's a carpet stretcher and laying tool. The blade is for smoothing and tucking carpet under door-sills, skirting boards and such, the multiple spikes are for gripping the carpet while it is stretched, the cup is for holding tacks, and the long spike would have fitted into a wooden handle. There's a patent for a very similar item here:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/bc/80/71/50526135595624/US28858.pdf
 
Upvote 0
This is the one pictured in that old patent. The blade has a semi-circular notch, which I think would be useful for fitting carpets around pipework (although the patent says it's to assist the nailing of tacks). Yours is another and more modern variation, but you get the idea?

Carpet stretcher 1.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spike end in wood handle, nice id.
 
Upvote 0
On another Site, this was identified as the cutting mechanism for an old Sheath Binder
 
Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's a kitchen mallet/meat tenderizer/ice pick.

2_MeatTenderizer4.webp
 
Upvote 0
Well done Red-Coat.

Great ID
 
Upvote 0
one of those multi funtional thig a majigs. no doubt homemade. put it aside u'll find a use for it someday
 
Upvote 0
I'm going with the meat tenderizer guess. There are many different types that have a chopper blade. Is there a hole next to your thumb in the picture? I wonder if that would be for a wooden handle.

Meat tenderizer.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom