What's new

✅ SOLVED What Was This Tool Used For?

USNFLYR

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2018
Messages
334
Reaction score
476
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what appears to have been a hand forged tool. Maybe originally it was supported by a wooden handle? It is solid, heavy and asymmetrical. Rock chipping? Blacksmith tool? If it’s a hammer, I’ve never seen one like this.

The hammer head is 7/8W by 2L. The tool measures 9 1/8 long.
IMG_4626.webp
IMG_4627.webp
IMG_4628.webp
IMG_4629.webp
 
Last edited:
Looks like a splitting maul for splitting firewood.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a splitting maul for splitting firewood.
Thanks. That looks to be a good answer. Maybe this is the inside the cabin/fireplace version? I've seen the outside "fire pile" version...and it is shaped that way.
 
Upvote 0
I am a full time blacksmith by trade. If it was a Blacksmithing tool (and I don’t see any reason it couldn’t be besides the possibility of it being something else) it would be called a “butcher”. The diagnostic trait that determines this specifically is the “blade” is offset to one side. If it was a “hot cut” for cutting steel or a “fuller” for shaping steel the blade would be centered. Same thing if it were a splitting maul. It’s not hard to forge something like that with the blade centered and so it’s not off centered just cause it’s hand made, it was intentional.
This tool would be used for creating a set down on a bar, or with a matching bottom tool could be used to forge all the way around the end of a bar to start forging a tennon.
If you look up “blacksmith butcher” you will see other similar items.
Here is an example.
 
Upvote 0
I will say without something really for scale I thought it was bigger and just now noticed the measurements you gave. Being smaller like it is, it is also a possibility it is a “horseshoe clinch cutter” tool. The modern versions you will see are combo type tools that doesn’t match yours identically but historically these tools would be separate and there’s a chance it’s what you have also. Only thing is yours would be on the larger side. I would think it’s a butcher still most likely.
 
Upvote 0
I will say without something really for scale I thought it was bigger and just now noticed the measurements you gave. Being smaller like it is, it is also a possibility it is a “horseshoe clinch cutter” tool. The modern versions you will see are combo type tools that doesn’t match yours identically but historically these tools would be separate and there’s a chance it’s what you have also. Only thing is yours would be on the larger side. I would think it’s a butcher still most likely.
Thanks BCSmark. I will mark this as solved. Pretty old, I think.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom