Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4/27 you all want to hit up Robinson's Woods???

just cause your a wacky satanist dosen't mean ya can't be a good guy,if we do a bbq over there we'll invite them(easy to spot,they'll be wearing goat heads)just don't eat there food or drink the kool-aid

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

Ok, So who, what or where are we looting this weekend? :icon_scratch:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Hey guys, I definitely don't want to detect in an area of major historical significance, even if I know for a fact that digging the 3 or 4 inches my detector allows me (lol) won't impact the area. I know guys who have dug iron relics and some old coins, I'm talking seated silver coins and many large cents over there, but even that temptation won't make me go. I'd like to hit some older woods but not one containing a known burial site. By the way, the arrest I mentioned was fireworks-related (it was a high school graduation thing, years ago, I was young and stupid). Just thought I'd give my two crusty zinc cents (dug 6 inches in the middle of the woods....ha).

Lithic, thanks for the great history lesson. I love hearing information like that, makes me appreciate my local areas even more. Would love to hunt together some day.

We can even hit up the sledding hill, or the woods adjacent to it...or the BS Camp...or whatever. What day are you guys thinking??

Joe

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

big woods,again i have never seen a sign or anything else that says burial site

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005

bomber said:
big woods,again i have never seen a sign or anything else that says burial site

There is a sign in the front by the small parking space at Lawrence and River road. Also the big boulder with the writing on it regarding the burials is a dead givaway.

Treasurefiend, Just keep an eye out for Stacy Peterson. ;D ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hey Bomber, around the corner from my house is a field that in the original 1838 plat maps shows a footnote that reads, "27 ancient mounds inside dotted lines" This is about a 10 acre plowed field that is now a district park. No evidence of the mounds remain, though with simple math you could surmize that up to 1000 or more locals were buried here before "modern" settlement in the 1830's. That makes it a very sensitive site for many.

From the same original plats, this one filed in 1840 in the federal land plat office in St. Louis, here's a shot of Robinson woods. Robinson has many descendents up on the reservation in Wisconsin and having partied with Menominee in the past. Well, I won't cross their sacred grounds. Federal laws apply here, and while the application of these has been virtually non-existant in the past, I wouldn't want to act in a way that might encourage future enforcement.

I can tell you this, I've hunted a local former (1840's-1940's) cemetery here in Elgin for the last year while running paths and playgrounds have been installed in what is now a schoolyard and park, no moral dilemma there, I've gotten lots of casket handles and coffin parts sent over to the historical society for their evaluation. Some nice old coins too. But it's not a federally protected site, it's a city park.

So I'd encourage everyone to check out the Robinson family history and respect the heritage of what is a unique site here in Chicagoland. I am confident site-specific markers will be on site soon or in the future, but there's too many other places still holding goodies too risk bad PR for the hobby here. Meanwhile the sign in the front by the small parking area at Lawrence and River road and the writing on that large glacial erratic (boulder, big rock) should suffice as limiting factors.

I'll be out your way on Rt. 72 Sunday if you want to get together for an old homesite hunt. The dog trainng area across from the entrance to Cabelas, east of Beverly Lake and just west of Old Sutton Road on the north side of Rt. 72. I've covered about .5% of this site and it's turned out a few goodies including barber silver and an old IOOF pin, old toys etc..

Lemme know if you can show up Sunday!

Attachments

• Robinson Woods Plat 1840.jpg
    Robinson Woods Plat 1840.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 304
    209.5 KB · Views: 320
    209.5 KB · Views: 303

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seen the rock,suppose to be "haunted"with lights and the smell of lillacs,never saw anything there besides the sign,again those are some big woods.i remember a few years ago when they were building a mall on irving & narragansett and they found bones......blah blah blah,settlers bones,guess what? the mall still went up.like the fiend said we go maybe 6-8 inches not 6 foot down.where do the burial ground start and stop?is Shiller off limits to?better let EVERYBODY know,kermit go rebury that gold ring it might be a relic.lets say you move out to the country and decide to build(whatever,a pool,a mall, a bomb shelter,again whatever and boom,you've got a burial groud,do ya stop?i know you make the proper calls and get it checked out and then what?you fill in your holes and move?doubt it,you keep going.when does history start and when does stop cause of progress?(an old debate for sure)the Cahokia mounds down south are in danger now cause there building a dump or something over there.just to get something straight,i'm not talking about grave robbing,6-8 inches is a whole different story.......ps i've got a buddy who owns land right next to the mounds(Cahokia) and we'll be going down there this summer to check it out

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

isn't going to indian villages and middens and chipping stations sites looting?shouldn't there be burial ground around those sites

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I grew up not far from the Robinson site (many yrs ago). The fact that it was a burial site was well known back then. I do wish it was better posted however so everyone knows. Besides we always thought the area was haunted when we were kids. LOL

Boy, I do hate the word "looting", a bad image I guess. lol

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
davebien said:
I grew up not far from the Robinson site (many yrs ago). The fact that it was a burial site was well known back then. I do wish it was better posted however so everyone knows. Besides we always thought the area was haunted when we were kids. LOL

Boy, I do hate the word "looting", a bad image I guess. lol

Hey davebien,

choose any word you like, here are a couple. Scan, probe, dig, penetrate, excavate, scoop nudge, poke, prod, delve, inquire, investigate, scout, drive, plunge stick, thrust, turn up or unearth. Looting sound good to me, arrr!!! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: arrrr maatee....

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woohoo woohoo woohoo :icon_jokercolor:
in a non mushroom hunter way!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=14pt]MURPF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:[/size]

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MMMUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread