none

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 4/27 you all want to hit up Robinson's Woods???

sat or sun?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Yeah, and you'll be okay as long as you don't back into a parking space fellas.

HH! Go silver!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

I don't understand that no backing into a parking space comment. Is there something I'm missing?\

In high school, we used to go here all the time. I've been all over the woods here...got arrested there too, long story. But anyway, yeah, lots of metal detectorists have hit this area hard for years, it's been known to produce some decent relics (though to my knowledge, not so many coins). I've been thinking about hitting that area at the BS camp where I found the silver quarters to see if I'll have better luck there, but a change can def be in order.

Joe

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It doesn't matter to me.

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005

Hello Kermit,

My name is Dan and I am the Archaeologist for the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. While metal detecting is not illegal in the Preserves, metal detecting in a historic area is and could result in either a ticket or arrest. I do not want to see that happening as I know that it is a good hobby and very interesting.

Robinson Woods is a burial site as well as a historic site. There are many descendants that are around who would be upset that someone is metal detecting on their site. The Native Americans still come to this site and see it as sacred.

It is also illegal to hunt on this site as it is historic and is not supposed to be touched. We do have Stewards who are in charge of that piece of property and it is patrolled.

In recent years this site has become a hot bed of research activity as well as restoration projects. Please see the sign board near the small parking lot in front of the boulder. It shows one of the descendants on the back, who happens to be working with us. Please also stop by the Schiller Park Historical Society on Monday mornings between 9 AM and 12 PM for verification of our work. They are located in the Schiller Park Library.

I know that there is a rift between metal detectorists and archaeologists, however I do not see anything wrong with the hobby and am happy that people enjoy it. However please do not hunt on historic or known archaeological sites. I do not want to see anyone get arrested or have their equipment confiscated. I know how much is spent on this stuff.

I do not want to sound like a jerk and I am sorry if it does, I just do not want to see your hobby ruined and the sites destroyed. There are many right now who oppose metal detecting in the Forest Preserves and this has been a very shaky subject. I however am trying to stand up for the right to hunt, just not on the historic/prehistoric sites. However the looting that is going on may lose the battle for detectors overall. I am not saying that you are looting as you may not have known about this. But there are people who do not care and are digging up sites so they can sell the artifacts.

Please feel free to call or email me. I emailed my information to you

Thank you and Happy Hunting,

Dan

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

Hi Dan,

Since it is not allowed to detect in Robinson Woods, Do you have a list of Forest Preserve in the District of Cook County that looting is allowed?

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ahh, I had no idea. Yea I have to stop by the library one of these Mondays. Thanks for the info. I'm not trying to wreck a historical site, and I'm damn sure not trying to dig in a burial site/ cemetery. I would hate to get a ticket or worse yet, my gear taken away!!!

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005

The boyscout camps seem to be fair game, and the open fields as well. Picnic areas are a great place. I pointed a detectorist near the Fort Dearborn Boyscout Camp (the camp that you detect) to an area where an 1895 Indian Head Penny was found, about two weeks ago. It is actually at the bend in the driveway that you park your cars in.

By the way, you are all right to be aware of cars backed in! :'( :tard:

There are some sites that are known (archaeologically speaking) and those are the ones that we try to protect. There are also the unknown sites (still to be discovered). These are the ones that if one were to find something, they are supposed to report it. Of course the reality is that it that it may not happen.

It is basically on the morals of the people who may find these sites. I came across a detectorist last week when exploring a site. I introduced myself and showed my I.D's and we had a great discussion. I told him that it is a great hobby that I support. He was even nice enough to show me some of his findings, even though I did not ask. I gave him some information and told him that in the future should we do excavations to give me a call. He went about his detecting and I went about my work. I did tell him though that it was illegal to hunt certain sites.

In fact I am going to do a proper metal dectecting survey of one site in the future to see if an excavation may be needed. I have been toying with the idea of asking a few detectorists to volunteer some time to help out, and as a way to close the rift between Achaeologists and Detectorists. My friend has a nice Whites detector and I have wanted one since last year, but spend my money on collecting knives (both for the outdoors and display). If this were going to happen I would need to keep the party small. I can't see a ton of people out there and I want to keep the site secret as there are those who would go there when no one is around.

As for the Robinson site here is a few facts.

The burials are not where the boulder is today but near to where the house stood. Robinson did not live in wooded area, but near to where the Schiller Park Library is located. His house (the original) was torn down only a few years ago. It is actually in a modern neighborhood. His reservation was given to him in 1829 and deeded to him on Dec 14, 1843. It's boundaries were just below Foster Ave. to just south of Irving Park Road, and covered a small area of modern day Schiller Park.

The house in the woods burned in 1955 and the Boettchers (Catherine, Herman and Frank) made it out. Herman was an a drunk but a nice man. I know older people that actually knew them. Frank died in 1973. In fact Herman used to sleep in the basement of the Great Escape restaurant (back then Kolzie's store) on Irving Park.

Catherine was the grandaughter of Robinson and Herman and Frank were the great grandchildren.

Mary Ragor was Robinson's daughter and lived in the house (in the woods) until her death in 1925)

The foundations do not exist in the woods any more as they were removed with the rest of the rubble when it burned in 1955. Again this was not Robinson's house.

The headstones were removed in 1945-50's by the Forest Preserves by direction of Roberts Mann (Department of Conservation) and the boulder was put in place. But there are things still out there as well as the burials and they should not be disturbed. There were over 20 burials out there (including Robinson) and it was a medium sized area. Ragor was the last to be buried out there. The Boettchers (except for Frank) are buried in St. Joseph Cemetery in unmarked graves.

If I were you I would try Schiller hill and Schiller Pond. There are many sledders and people who fish, you never know.

Sorry for the long post, it has been a long day. If I have quesitons about detectors and where to get them, maybe you all can point me to a local dealer.

Thanks and HH,

Dan

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II

Dan,

Thank you for the information and some of us do have spare detectors, you are always welcome to join us on a hunt or two if you like :thumbsup:. I have a White's XLT if you want to give it a try, I also have an Explorer SE but I don't think you want to be torture on your first hunt :tard:.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan

I have hunted the BS camp and other areas of the F P from Rand Rd on down south to Grand ave. but isn't illegal to "DIG " in the Cook Co. F. P.. ?

I know of area where there was on old farm stead in the F P . I don't think that many people know of it ,only bricks left and a large hole. I know its old since I found a 1903 dog tax tag along with many bottles down a foot.

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
Dan

I have hunted the BS camp and other areas of the F P from Rand Rd on down south to Grand ave. but isn't illegal to "DIG " in the Cook Co. F. P.. ?

I know of area where there was on old farm stead in the F P . I don't think that many people know of it ,only bricks left and a large hole. I know its old since I found a 1903 dog tax tag along with many bottles down a foot.

It's kind of strange how the FP works. I am still learning their weird regulations. I was actually talking about this very subject with the Director of Education this past Sunday at the Earth Day event, at Trailside Museum. He said that (aside from arch sites) that they can detect, but are only supposed to probe, not dig. I thought this very strange because how are you supposed to pull a coin up. He said that they dig it anyway. Personally I think it is stupid that they are only supposed to probe, but who listens to me. ;D

Technically even the farm sites fall under their law, but there are way to many and I personally am not going to stress myself about them (as it is impossible to regulate) as there is only me. That is why I must ask that if you do find a burial or prehistoric site to please contact me. There are many other historic graves out there. Treasurefiend has my contact info, I emailed it to him.

The Robinson site however is a special place to many people, especially the local descendants who live in the area, or come down from Wisconsin to be there. The descendant who works with me lives near Norridge Park. The locals are even getting in on the action of restoring the area, cutting the invasive buckthorn and such. On jerk who lives right across the street actually drives a 4 wheeler in there with a tarp filled with branchs and garbage to illegally dump there. That is why the trails are all torn up behind the boulder. The neighbors complain, but he needs to be caught in the act (usually impossible).

I am supposed to be doing some ground penetraiting radar work with the Field Museum so that we can map the site out properly. There has not been a proper Archaeologist with the FP since 1996. I started last September.

Goio,

Thank you for the invite, I might take you up on it down the line. I would bring my friend as well with his detector. As of right now I spend all my time in the woods exploring and writing my notes, then the rest of the time is in the office. It would be a great time though.

I forget which Whites my friend has but he has that hand held probe as well.

Thank you all for being understanding about this! I really want you all to enjoy your hobby. Again, please report any prehistoric, burial or other sites that should be properly documented. Not all of the will be excavated, but they need to be documented as this history is disappearing (especially the prehistoric) due to natural and human factors (not the metal detectorists, but the farmers of the past, construction, erosion and real looting).

The farm sites are easy to document, I have walked the lengths of the Des Plaines and Chicago Rivers, and am still discovering things. But the prehistory is my true interest. I know that in the end I cannot save everything, but I want to make as detailed a catalog as I can. I always ask the detectorists as you all have a great interest and respect for history.

Take a look at the Franklin Park Library link that I posted a few threads above. There is a photo of Pete, Buzz (the descendant) and my self, ther is also some great historic info on there. We were there for the rededication and I gave a tour of the site.

I also give tours of Robinson Woods from time to time to the public and everyone is always welcome. I am planning one for this summer and you all are welcome to come.

Thank you all and HH,

Dan Melone

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not argueing about the not digging in robinsins woods but i would like to see something in writing or else fair game

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Dan,
Good to here from you on this subject. Please feel free to contact either the Chicago Club, The Midwest Historical Research Society, or the Lake County Club, The Great Lakes Historical Research Club. Both have some very knowledgeable people on board and are more than willing to help in an outreach program if you desire their help in an extrensive MD survey.

I don't want to task you with too many individual site specifics, but have you made a determination on Thatcher Woods at all?

My understanding, and that of many detectorists including the couple who were ticketed in the last couple years was "dig" as in statute 1915 of the code regard any real excavation, which would not preclude md'ing digs, as these are typically of such a small scale they are not regarded as excavations.

Bottle hunters, on the other hand, do some extensive excavations in their searches, as you may be aware. Their pits are usually left open with no reclamation attempt made. There is a huge difference in a coin hunter, even one digging a 12 inch deep coin, who has carefully cut and replaced a plug and a bottle hunter, who has an open pit excavation.

The last couple md'ers ticketed did get their cases dismissed because no MD-specific rules exist. I would hate to see the "probe-only" rule enforced, as those of us in the know can clearly distinguish between a "dig" and a coin/relic recovery.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance in this matter and do contact one or both of the big MD clubs hereabouts, they can provide wonderful support in any survey effort you want to undertake.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey twist,the backing in thing applies to the mushroom hunters,from my understanding there a code among them backing in means something(don't ask,i don't know)going straight in again means"something" if the visor is up or down means something else,maybe theres a "i cruise the woods looking for dudes"website that would explain it all...hey maybe i'll ask tommy

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL!!!

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005

bomber said:
hey twist,the backing in thing applies to the mushroom hunters,from my understanding there a code among them backing in means something(don't ask,i don't know)going straight in else again "something" if the visor is up or down means something else,maybe theres a "i cruise the woods looking for dudes"website that would explain it all

All I know is that they are stalkers, in the worst way. :o Beware of the backed in cars!

As for the rule, there are Preserve rules and there are state rules, even I cannot touch anything on a burial ground per the state of Illinois. It is illegal without permits. I have Preserve permits that only allow me to do so much, until I have to excavate, then I need to get state permission. Any burial ground is off limits. Unless the state has a say. Even I have to follow the laws.

I am not arguing the hobby and I want you all to have fun. I am all for it. It is just when it comes to a site like Robinson, especially when the family is still involved that makes it very sensitive. It would be like me detecting in a regular cemetery.

I just got off the phone with one of the descendants who saw this and thought that everyone here seemed supportive. He to is a detectorist.

We should all meet one day and go to the boyscout camp. Sounds like it would be fun.

Lowbatts,

I am going to PM you with my information. Please call me when you can. Thank you.

Thank you all and HH,

Dan

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

backed in cars? DAMN IT! i might be gay when i go to lunch here at st pauls woods i always back in,but i love women the look,smell,thongs,everything DAMN IT! i guess i'll be a very lonley gay since guys do nothing for me.DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not to sound dumb, but I don't think we would even come close to disturbing a grave site. The deepest that I have ever dug was 12 inches and that was at the beach. Remains should be deeper than that, or animals would get to them. I have been out hunting more than a few times with these people, and we just look for stuff that was dropped from somebodies pocket and is down 10 to 12 inches at the very best. I could see if we were bottle diggers and dug down 10 feet, but we don't use any machines that would pierce that deep (ground penetrating radar) so we would have no reason to dig deep holes. So I'm confident we wouldn't come across a burial site, unless we stumble across a homicide in the middle of the woods, but I doubt that will ever happen. But if I ever find some remains new or old, you bet I'm going to call the police, and if they look old I will call you up too.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

don't forget those wacky satanists out there,maybe they bury there sacrifices shallow :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread