What's new

North Carolina Shark Tooth

Shorewalker

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2017
Messages
446
Reaction score
959
Golden Thread
1
Location
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this on an island off Wrightsville Beach a couple of days ago. I was on vacation and not expecting to find a tooth but it was laying in the sand at the edge of the surf line. I don't find this particular type where I look in Virginia. Anyone know the type - great white??

fossil11.webp
 
Very Nice Find.. Looks like a Great White.
 
Yeah, a fossilized example of an extinct line of the great white shark. Nice one!
 
Nice find. Congrats
 
Yes, Megalodon, prehistoric Great White. There are MANY to be found while diving offshore of North Carolina.

 
Nice find.Hate to be bitten by that monster.
 
Op's tooth is a great white, not a Megalodon
meg-vs-great-white-tooth-700x329.webp
 
Very nice find! I agree with the others that this tooth is a Great White rather than a Megalodon. In most areas, the Great White teeth are less common than Megalodons. Estimated age 10-15M years old, Miocene.
 
Very nice find! I agree with the others that this tooth is a Great White rather than a Megalodon. In most areas, the Great White teeth are less common than Megalodons. Estimated age 10-15M years old, Miocene.

Thanks for the details!
 
Awesome! And that video is insane! I’d love to find those
 
I have done that many, many times. Paleontologists calculate that for every inch of the prehistoric tooth, the shark was 10 ft long. 6 " tooth= 60 ft shark !!

Thanks for correcting me. For years, Megalodon WAS thought to be an ancestor to the Great White. So many people, including myself, still refer to them as the same.
Coastal Rivers of South Carolina have produced many of these teeth, but you need to be a very experienced diver to dive there. Offshore N.C. is where the video above was shot. You still need experience to dive there, but at least you have a lot more visibility.

https://www.fossilera.com/pages/megalodon

South Carolina river diving ;

 
Last edited:
Yup very cool...i learned to dive when i was 13 just so i could dive the cooper river for sharks teeth.....good times
 
Yup very cool...i learned to dive when i was 13 just so i could dive the cooper river for sharks teeth.....good times

I've been looking into lessons/certification and may do this in the Fall when I get to SWFL. Maybe dive off Venice Beach. I've always wanted to scuba dive. I'm already planning to hit the Peace River and screen for teeth. It does sound pretty picked-over though...
 
Storms etc., are always uncovering more fossils. I remember many years ago, when people said that all the teeth were almost gone in Copper River. Diving at Venice is a MUCH safer dive than Cooper .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom