Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the field behind an offensive position from a battle that attacked a castle in 1704 today. Yesterday I hit a target I just could not get to partly because it was almost dark and I did not want to waste too much time on it and there were several rocks in the hole. Today I brought along a big full sized shovel. Only had about 1.5 hours before it got dark so I got busy. Here is the field, the tough target is down by that patch of trees and brush.
2Feb08field.jpg

I quickly dug the hole out with a decent shovel, here is the hole at about 12” deep and the target is still in it. One more small shovel full and the target was out. Dang I thought, not a cannon ball or a treasure chest. Maybe a gold or silver coin?
2Feb08hole.jpg

I could not believe it when I found the target, a crusty zinc 10 Pfennig coin from the late 1800s found at about the 13” mark. Even more amazing, I was using the stock 8” coil on the Minelab XT70. I can not explain it, must be perfect conditions and the coin was probably flat. The dirt is very moist down deep. I have dug several deep targets with the XT70 using the 10.5” DD coil but this target was amazing. Here is the hole with my Vibraprobe 560 in it, the coin is sitting at the middle of the probe, the probe is almost 14” long. I will buy a Vibraprobe 570 pinpointer soon as they are boasting 2” of depth, the 560 gets barely ¾” .
2Feb08holeprobe.jpg

Four of nine Ox shoes I found the past two hunts, they are ever present and common finds, sound great in wet conditions but I know what they are even when they sound good.
2Feb08oxshoes.jpg

Three musket balls surely from the battle in 1704 and a rim fired casing, found several of the rim fired today, larger than a .22 and several .22 Cal. rim fired casings. Found one of the musket balls when I was headed for the mysterious target, just swinging the detector like a golf club and walking at a fast pace and got a good signal.
2Feb08musketballs.jpg

A few bridle parts, I have about 50 of these now, they come in small, medium and large. These are a small and a medium, the medium size is about the size of a silver Dollar. Anyone know what they are called?
2Feb08bridleparts.jpg

Found this chain, about 8” long, maybe a pocket watch chain, note the links get smaller towards the end in the middle. And here is the culprit crusty coin that was found at 13” in the middle, I tossed one I found yesterday, I will keep this one with a note on it, found at 13”. HH, Mike
2Feb08chaincoin.jpg

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver one of those chain in the park. Big in the middle & got smaller in each direction. I thought mine was a Victorian fob watch chain, so I reckon your right. (but then I thought you nailed the gun hole thingy too :D)

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab stock coil is actually 9", I had 8" stuck in my head. I did an airtest on the coin. Wet the coin down first, in all metal mode, sense at 26, the coin hit at 10", 11" at a faster swing. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread